Touch Dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've got a touch dimmer in the lounge and I know you can use a remote to control these I never have, however.

Recently when switching the tv on the lights come on as well, wtf? I can hold the remote in front of the switch and press the on button (for the tv) hold it in and it dims the lights.

This is the dimmer:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VLIC1252.html

Is there any way to reset them?

Sponsored Links
If you look at the link you posted you will find there is a link to

Installation and wiring details

Now, I've only got a few O Levels but even I can work out that (maybe) the installation details might tell you how to use the thing.

:rolleyes:

I have 2 of the 3 way dimmers in my lounge, no interference from the TV remote, I think this is trying to tell you to buy a new TV :)

Mine is a Samsung TV, no issues

You can make the dimmer respond to a particular button on any IR remote. To do this you put the duimmer in 'learn' mode.

All he needs to do is to learn it differently!

Sponsored Links
Yup it tells you how to put it into learning mode but not how to delete a remote just wondered if anyone had this problem before, doesn't matter if you have o levels experience, someone who has a bit of experience with these does though

Tried learning a different remote still affects the tv - which is only 2 or 3 years old

Hi...when you program these dimmers to a new remote button they are designed to over ride any previous setting so.... are you completing the programming sequence?

1 Tap the touch pad 6 times....you will see your lights visibly 'step' rather than smoothly cycle....

2 Point the remote you want to use at the dimmer and press your chosen button....the lights will go on and off

3 Press your chosen button a 2nd time and the lights will go on and off twice to confirm your choice.

That should work....let us know how you get on
:)

thanks jonny, the problem is I dont want it programmed to a remote, I'll try tomorrow to get it programmed to a old remote so I dont have any issues.

Or even easier, just turn the lighting circuit off for 30 seconds at the consumer unit.

Those Varilight dimmers don't have any non-volatile memory - they forget the learned remote when the power goes off!

I guess the dimmer may be knackard, switched power off and tv on button still operates the lights, tried programming a different remote with no joy.

I notice that its a 2 gang dimmer....does this happen on both sides?

If not, why don't you wire the good module to the problem circuit to ascertain if the problem lies with the dimmer or the circuit...

cheers

I would guess someone in the household has accidently set it into learn mode (not that hard in my experience) and then turned the tv on but pressed standby twice. As suggested just reprogram it to another unused button, or use a different remote from another room / house.

Slup: My dimmer has never lost it's setting during a power cut so it must have a non-volatile memory. Maybe older versions forget the settings though.

Are you sure you did the press button 6 times, wait for it to dim down then up, press the remote button, wait again for the dim down/up, press remote button again to confirm?

If you don't need the remote control facility, why not just cover up the sensor with something?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back