Towel radiator - can some flexible piping be used?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're doing our bathroom and want to change our existing radiator for a towel radiator.

The piping from the floor for the radiator is wider than for the towel radiator (can't have a bigger one due to where the walls are). Is there a form of flexible piping that can be used? Something that would be:
a) easy enough to use by non-professionals with basic plumbing
b) less unsightly than the 2 90 degree joints suggested so far?

I thought my brother had had flexible piping fitted to his towel radiator by the company that installed his CH system, but when I talked to my local plumbing shop they said that the water was too hot for any flexible piping to be used in a CH system.

I'm all a little confused by all of this. All comments gratefully appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Why not lift the floorboards, cut back the flow or return, whichever is best for the position its in and bring a new copper piece up, much nicer!

That idea had been put forward but two things against:

1) the boards are large and go across half of the bathroom (so seems very complicated as nailed down and difficult to get to without trashing them)
2) as we are only amateurs we thought that having the joints above the floor boards, and soon to be floor tiles, would be safer in case of leaks in the future!

Also I'm keen to have all silver/chrome piping above the floor boards...

why not cut a section of floor board out, use a compression coupler under the floor to connect to chrome plated copper and do it properly. Who wants to see a flexi connector next to chrome HTR? Not me, so I assume not you either. If you think it is too much to do yourself, get a professional to do it. Could take a few hours to drain, amend and refill, but it would be money well spent on your bathroom. I doubt you would need a second mortgage for this job...unless you know someone who has been on 'Plumbers from Hell'

Sponsored Links
Must agree get some quotes for a proper job, kitchens and bathrooms sell houses.

Flex is not designed, and thus not suitable for ch.
Compression fittings under the floor are not a good idea, if tiling plans exist, a definite no-no

Thanks for all the ideas. I think we are going to go for joints just above the tiles and then box them in.

The suggestion of getting it done professionally was a good one and our first choice. Unfortunately, we couldn't afford the work and the bathroom at the same time! The joys of living in London...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back