Towel rail leaking from top joint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've got a traditional style towel radiator which is leaking from a joint at the top where the rail bit fixes to the main body. I'd always assumed it was all one piece but on closer inspection I can see a little grub screw on each side so it seems the rail part is detachable. I had a go at removing them to see if I could get the rail off but couldn't manage it. Anyone come across one of these or something similar before? All the ones I've looked at online see to be one piece. I'm hoping if I can get the rail off i can replace a seal or something? (n)

IMG_20200412_165703.jpg IMG_20200412_165712.jpg IMG_20200412_165720.jpg

Sponsored Links
Looks quite nice, do you know where it came from or was that before your time.

I haven’t personally, looks like it’ll be the Allen key grub screws, try some penetrating oil or wd-40? Have you tried to tighten the nut?

Sponsored Links
I haven’t personally, looks like it’ll be the Allen key grub screws, try some penetrating oil or wd-40? Have you tried to tighten the nut?

Yeah its an allen key for the grub screws. I tried tightening them (they were fairly loose) but that actually made it worse - it was only leaking on one side before, now its on both!

The grub screws need to be removed ,and the rail will pull out ,there are seals ,O rings I think, that need to be renewed. You will of course need to depressurise and isolate the radiator before doing this.

Yup, turn it off just now in case it pops. You or a professional will need to release the pressure and get that off, chances are there'll be o-rings/seals in there and they'll be the part that's leaking. Usually that section would be welded to the main body of the rad.

The grub screws need to be removed ,and the rail will pull out ,there are seals ,O rings I think, that need to be renewed. You will of course need to depressurise and isolate the radiator before doing this.

Yup, turn it off just now in case it pops. You or a professional will need to release the pressure and get that off, chances are there'll be o-rings/seals in there and they'll be the part that's leaking. Usually that section would be welded to the main body of the rad.

Yeah I wound the valves in to isolate it and the dripping has eased off. When you say depressurise it, is that just by opening up the bleed valve?

Just get a new towel rad ordered and a plumber 1 hour jobby

I think I'll have to as I can't budge it. Given the pressure it must have been designed to withstand I don't think there's going to be much chance of pulling it off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back