Towel Rail - Symmetrical Fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm struggling to find a way to fit my towel radiator (plus electric element) in such a way that the whole set up looks symmetrical. Problem is that the water inlet on the element side is horizontal whereas the outlet is vertical.

RFL (on the electrics forum) very kindly posted a photo of his set up.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=53741
[note: the use of angled valve but straight lockshield. Virtually all the products I have seen are sold in pairs, angled or striaght!]

Can anyone else provide me with any hints, tips, product suggestions or photos to help me to achieve the best aesthetic finish.
Note: I can run the pipes from the floor or from the wall. Either way is not a problem.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
DarrenSL said:
Can anyone else provide me with any hints, tips, product suggestions or photos to help me to achieve the best aesthetic finish.
Note: I can run the pipes from the floor or from the wall. Either way is not a problem.

Thanks.

Part of the fun of this job is that every installation is slightly different. I don't quite understand your question because if you can run the pipes from the floor, then surely you just install the rad first, then valves, and then run up pipes from the floor. Job done - or am I missing something?

Next week I am installing a towel rail that cost the guy £400! :eek: I will take some photos so you can see my attempt!

Thanks for the response. A photo would be great!
(Apologies for the late reply. I've been a bit distracted by the footy! :) )

My problem is that I don't really know what accessories to use i.e. knuckles, angled pipes, sizes, etc. particularly given that the inlet goes in from the side and the outlet is vertical from the bottom.

My plan is ... use angled valves.
Inlet valve no problem straight up from the floor, through 90 degree valve and straight into the radiator.
Applying the same route for the outlet leaves me with a 90 degree bend that I need to fill between the radiator and the lockshield. What part should I use to fill this?

Ta.

Hi,

I don't understand either. Wasn't the question answered in the electrics forum link you provided?

Rgds.

Sponsored Links
I don't understand either. Wasn't the question answered in the electrics forum link you provided?

Not really. If you notice, the picture in the link, firstly is not symmetrical and secondly has an angled inlet valve and a straight lockshield. Although it is possible to buy the valves singularly most actually come in pairs. More importantly, the valves I am interested in purchasing come as a set, either a pair of straight or a pair of angled valves.

I just need a simple 90 degree elbow from the bottom of the rad into the valve and problem sorted. But ... I don't know what the part is called or if such a thing exists? Anyone? :confused:

Hi,

OK, If you want to keep the angled valve upright then you need a 1/2 BSP male to female elbow, in brass, from a plumbers' merchants. This will have taper threads, and the valve is probably parallel thread. But there is always ptfe tape. It is unlikely to be chromed. Whether this will provide enough clearance between the head of the valve and the towel rail is something you will have to judge/measure/guess.

Other combinations are a 1/2" brass taper nipple and a 1/2" brass elbow, which will drop the valve a little more. Using the male to female elbow with a brass nipple and brass socket will push the valve out sideways, but will look horrible.

Rgds.

Eureka!!! :D I think this is the sort of product I need ...

http://www.towelradiator.co.uk/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=131

Mixed chrome valves for dual fuel radiators!!! Unfortunately this is the only example I can find anywhere. I was hoping for something a little more 'designer' but I guess they'll have to do.

p.s. Thanks for your help Kes (and all others who gave advice on this subject on any of the previous threads.)

Why not have two element T pieces, and a matching pair of the valves you like.

Why not have two element T pieces, and a matching pair of the valves you like.

What a top idea :idea: Perfect symmetry, all chrome, easy connections, and any choice of valve pairs. QED.

I new we'd get there in the end ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back