Towel Rail with Elec Element

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys i'm a Gas Eng with 15 yrs experience but can't find any info for my question here goes.
I have aquired a towel rail while in work and i have an outhouse that's not attached to house so can't run CH pipes to it. It has a seperate toilet and it's full of elec sockets. And I going to put the towel rail their.
I know you can get a electric element that screws into the bottom but what do you fill the radiator up with?
Water? Oil? If Oil what type?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
i heard from someone else a while back it is oil.but dont know what type

i dont se why engine oil wouldnt work ok, it heats up to massive temps doesnt it.

Would be best to use water if the stat failed it wouldn't get any hotter than 100C if i used oil it has a higher boiling point,What do you think? The only worry i had about using water was that it would keep evapourating but then if it was sealed it couldn't. Don't like it when iv'e got no instuctions to follow so i know i'm doing it correct.

Sponsored Links
Does anyone know any manufacturers of these heater elements so i can check their websites for info on them?

Hi Duzzer

I'd try having a look in your local B & Q, Focus etc for any towel rails & take note of the manufacturer, then try googling.

As for what to use in the radiator personally I'd use transformer oil as that is what we used to refill the oil filled rads at work.

Duzz - take your point about the oil getting ever so hot, but wouldn't it be more likely to burst with water boiling in it? Would go off with quite a pop.

I was told that those rod type elements always have safety thermostats in them, though you can buy a rod type thermostat to put in the other leg.

might be worth ditching it and buying new for what they cost. you might be flogging a dead horse in the end.

It's a brand new towel rail rad iv'e got,cust didn't want and plumbers merchant didn't take back didn't cost anything was just looking to fit it in my outside toilet theirs a double socket in their. Was just gonna buy a element for about £40 and screw it in the bottom fill it with whatever to take chill off it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back