Trade Talk Vs. Non Trade Talk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst I fully understand why there would a Tade Talk section on this site, I think in order for a fair balance it might be good to have an area where DIYers can talk to other DIyers in their own area.
The trade appear to have an area where they put the wourld to right about annoying or stupid know-it-all customers, would the trade not be interested in seeeing the views of some DIYers who have had to employ various trades in their own houses and not been happy either.
I for one have worked my way through most trades in my times and am probably as amazed by them as the Trades are amazed by customers sometimes.

Your thoughts??

Sponsored Links
Most of the 'Trade Talk' is about problems/issues businesses etc encounter - not about rough customers.
Suggest if you have something on trades you publish it the most appropriate topic - plenty to choose from

Unless I am on the wrong site the only area that is restricted to who can enter is the combustion chamber, and the main area of topic on there is work that only rgi's could out work on any way . thus preventing mr I can do that from blowing himself up. also most postings are requests for help on the other areas,where they are hoping to get a little professional help for free, which we gladly offer. the trade section is an open area .so I cannot fully understand why an area for non trade should be required when as previously mentioned by "woodyoulike" there are many areas for posting including the general area

Surely the whole site is mainly about DIY with exchanges between DIYers and tradespeople as well. If you have a problem with a tiler would you not post in the tiling section to get the best response.

Trade talk is not just a place for Trades to slag off customers (although it does happen) Trades ask about vans, insurance, pricing, advertising etc etc

Sponsored Links
Any DIYr can talk to any other DIYr in any of the forums that they have access to.

Although sometimes they are lucky enough to get a tradesman to help.
Simple.
End of.

I did go on one forum which stuck a label to all my posts saying "Pro" and although in the electrical trade that may be correct it also had the same tag if I answered a question for example on plumbing. Which would make the people seeing my answer put a lot more weight against what I had said then it deserved.

Any tradesman will work on items connected to but not really fully part of his trade. I for example spend a lot of time working with welders doing stress relief and pre-heating plus repairs to their welding gear. So yes I can weld and yes I know a lot about it but I am not a welder and I think it is a lot safer not to label anyone as either a pro or DIY.

If I see a question on the IET forum I assume unless he says other wise he is a pro. And on this forum as it has DIY in the name I assume he is a DIY person unless he has said something to make me think otherwise.

Sponsored Links
Back