Tragic M5 RTA

L

LooPrEvil

We are so lucky, it could happen to any of US, as any time

But how somebody can video the scene moments after the collision is beyond me. What about helping the injured and shocked? Tut.

Sponsored Links
Local news is saying that both sides are to be kept shut until around 9 o' clock tonight.

And they are talking about raising the speed limit?

Absolutely shocking....I was petrified my family had gone up to the Bridgewater Carnival and may have been caught up in it.
Thankfully they are safe, but how awful for all those who were caught up in it ...it must have been absolutely horrendous.

Sponsored Links
Absolutely shocking....I was petrified my family had gone up to the Bridgewater Carnival and may have been caught up in it.
Thankfully they are safe, but how awful for all those who were caught up in it ...it must have been absolutely horrendous.

That must be a relief for you.

From the look of it 2-3 jack knifed lorries, were they doing 80-90-100.

They probably accounted for most of the carnage, but lets get all the facts and then judge ehh.

Many travel at 80 anyway. Raise the limit to 80mph, then does the new acceptable upper limit become 90?

The really scary proposal is using the hard shoulder as a fourth lane. Until they invent engines that don't break down, or tyres that don't puncture, how would this ever be safe? Stop sending money overseas, and spend it on OUR infrastructure.

They probably accounted for most of the carnage, but lets get all the facts and then judge ehh.

The trouble with artics is that they use lane 1& 2 and 'jockey' for lead position, but take several miles to actually complete an overtaking manoeuvre as there may only be as little as 1mph difference in the speed of the overtaking vehicle. When they they come to a motorway slip road, the vehicles joining the motorway are blocked by this inconsiderate action of the artic drivers. I would suggest that artics are not permitted to use the middle lane within 1 mile of the exit and entrance slip roads to motorways and dual carriageways.

I know and I am, and shouldn't, jumping to conclusions, but I note this accident has happened close to an adjoining slip road.

All British trucks are limited to 55mph +or- 1or 2 mph apart from Tesco! They are limited to 50mph

The reason you think they go faster in 50mph zones such as road works on motorways is because your speedometer is lying, the reason for this is car manufactors err on the side of caution.

Motor Cycle News did a test on a variety of bikes a few years ago, the Aprilia was spot on, the Ducati was near as damit, the worst offender was a Honda sp2, it was clocking 180 but was timed at 150.

Can someone please enlighten me why so many car drivers hog the middle and outside lanes and then dive into the left lane in road works and proceed at 45mph yes i know your speedo says 50 but as i said cars err on the side of caution! trucks are calibrated every 6 or 12 months or when work has been carried out witch may effect the mph reading

Yes i know the trucks/lorries are restricted, it was to show speed probably was not a factor, more rain fog and tailgating from the latest news reels.

So why assume it's the lgv's fault.
More like some inpatient moron whats to join the motorway and get straight to the outside lane.

Likewise, so why assume it was somebody attempting to join the motorway and get straight to the outside lane?

Last trucks I drove had a cruise control so set it at 56mph and that's exactly what it did. This is why lorries can stay relatively close to each other in the inside lane.
To answer Loo's question about how people can video it,. It was obviously filmed from the opposite carriageway. Would you have pulled over onto the hard shoulder and ran across 3 lanes of motorway? I know I wouldn't.
What about TV crews who video dreadful things every week? Are they any different ? Ok I'll admit they usually film things after the event, but it's not unknown for them to be on the spot when something major happens. Should they stop filming to help in some emergency?

Sponsored Links
Back