Transferring VHS to DVD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,
I've got a quite a few home VHS videos of family, places of interest etc. and I would like to transfer them to DVD, but I haven't a clue how to go about it. I'm imformed that I need a video capture card but I don't know if I have one installed in my machine (It's getting on for 4yrs old).
I do have a socket on my Video card called a TV-OUT with S-VHS and composite connection capabilities Whatever that means!
The hardware & software I have is;
A PC with a DVD burner....CPU . . AMD2000+
A VCR
Pinnacle Studio 8LE

That's about it, not much I know, but a little education will put me right. Even if I'm told that I've got no chance of doing anything with inadequate equipment. At least I'll know where I stand.
Thanks for all help.

Sponsored Links
wait for a 2nd opinion, but i think video card is not suitable (it says out, you want in)

what size is the hard drive? that is important for video

Breezer is right, a TV-out does just that, allows you to output to your TV or a projector etc.

To be honest I would say your best bet (and probably cheapest) is not to use the computer at all, Argos have DVD recorders starting at £89 now so all you need to do is connect your video recorder to one of those with a scart cable and off you go.

Having said that, I don't know what the quality of the £89 one is like (it's an Alba) but I have a friend with a Goodmans one (similar make) which cost him just over a ton and he says it's fine.

Could try taking a look here:

http://www.doom9.org/

The forum is pretty good for getting tips on pretty much anything to do with burning dvd's plus they have most of the software you'll need if you choose to do it through a pc.

Breezer and ninebob are right though, if you use a pc you'll need a video capture card which will have video in connections.

You could also try:

http://www.dvdhelp.us/

If you click on tutorials on the menu to the left of the screen there is a section in there on transfering VHS to DVD.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, I'll have a look at those sites and I'm sure I'll learn something from them.
Before the thread closes (because you've answered the questions) I would like to point out that I've converted half-dozen camcorder tapes to DVD via a Firewire connection and Pinnacle studio 8 and it's done a good job. Is a capture card required because VHS is in analogue format.

You could buy a video/dvd recorder combi. Bit pricey but I am considering one to convert all my vhs stuff to dvd :D

Doesn't have to be a combi... Get yourself a DVD Recorder (they are now coming in under £100) and connect it to you VHS player with a scart lead...
That way you won't have to load all sorts of crap onto you computer either

Back