Transformer identification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just been into the roof space above my bathroom to find the reason why my bathroom lights have stopped working (4 x 20w LV 12v spots).
The transformer powering them looks a strange beast :confused: It is fairly large, has four separate outputs to power the lights and also has four 10A fuses. I've tested it and it works but I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about it? Is it an antique? It will be replaced but just curious.

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
your description is a bit vague.

more info please, dimensions, ANY markings

Photo?

Sounds like a non-electronic one.

But if it works, why replace it?

yip not electronic, but toroidal type.
1 input and four outputs individually fused, you can get this type as individually fused or one main output. they were very common in the early days of halogen lights, although you can still get this type usually in metal shoebox cases, smaller electronic transformers are usually used now in domestic installations.

Although this is in the bathroom and you will on most cases not be dimming in this instance, you have to be careful and get a good low volt dimmer that works with toroidal trannies.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, I guess it was classed as 'compact' when it was first installed. For my sins (I've read some of your opinions on 'sheds') I've bought a kit of 4 spots with a transformer included so thought it would be a good time to replace the old one. There seems to be hundreds of messages about installing LV spots so I'll have a search through them.

1) Sooner or later you'll come across a post where someone says "yah boo sucks don't you know anything - 12V is not LV, it's ELV". Don't get upset.

2) You'll find a lot of advice not to use those kits with 1 transformer and multiple luminaires. Take it into consideration. By all means use the new fittings if you like them, but dimming issues aside, if the old transformer is still working, keep using it. Have you worked out why the old lights have packed up even though the transformer is OK?

3) What IP rating are the new lights? There are people out there selling ones which they claim are suitable for bathrooms and they are not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back