Transformers, transformers, transformers -- a few questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just joined, so greetings from newbie here to all :D. I live in Finland, and we have the continental Europe standard of 220 V. My questions concern AC to AC step up, step down transformers:

1) For a large Japanese fridge-freezer (110 V) to work here, I have the choice of a 150W, 300W, 500W, 1500W, or 3000W transformer. Which of these is applicable for the purpose?

2) What about for a wireless broadband router, with 110 V? Which of the above-mentioned transformers would I need for use here?

Plz let me know soon, since I need to know what to buy.

Many thanks!

Cheers,
RS ;)

Sponsored Links
You need to look at the manufacturer's documentation, or the rating plate on the device.

this will doubtless show its power need. I imagine a router might be a few hundred mA, and a fridge might be 5 - 10A or so at 220 V.

I presume you know how to calculate Watts to (Amps x Volts)?

JohnD said:
You need to look at the manufacturer's documentation, or the rating plate on the device.

this will doubtless show its power need. I imagine a router might be a few hundred mA, and a fridge might be 5 - 10A or so at 220 V.

I presume you know how to calculate Watts to (Amps x Volts)?

Hey there!

Thanks for the reply....I'll look into it and then chose the correct transformer.

As an aside, I've got a q. for you, on the topic of watts...how come my microwave has a printed label of 800W, whereas elsewhere in the appliance's documentation, there's a listing of 1.3kW? (According to the wattage conversion, amps x voltage gives wattage number, but how come my micro's only 800W therefore -- should be more, surely.)

RS

that will probably be the power of the microwave it self, not the power the unit uses

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
that will probably be the power of the microwave it self, not the power the unit uses

Hey Breezer,

Hypothetically, if I had a foreign appliance therefore, with a 800W plate, would I rely on that number to get the appropriate transformer, or the 1.3 kW reading? I ask because those transformers are listed as "300W continuous", "500W continuous", "1000W continuous", etc.

Cheers,
RS

On the ratings plate or sticker of the appliance, it will say what the total load is (usually in Watts). If unsure, ring the manufacturer or dealer.

Microwave ratings are on power output, NOT power consumption.

Hi

It is an 800w magnatron, but with fans and any other gear it will consume
1300w in total.

On the freezer you need to tell us the details of the plate.

Watts, amps, volts, Htz.

Also is Finland on 50 or 60Htz

All is needed to advise you correctly

Mike.

Sponsored Links
Back