Transit engine??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a for transit 2.3 dohc petrol engine with LPG conversion does anybody have any idea if piston 1 is low on a compression test and oil in the water would it be the head gasket, cracked liner or bust valve? What can I do to test these? Has anybody got any advice for what could have caused the above?? Been told injectors are prime on these? Also is it easy enough for a diyer to change the whole engine? I've done plenty on cars also head gaskets but been told these need the petrol pumps set up?

Cheers in advance Jordon

Sponsored Links
If the engine has been allowed to overheat then its a head gasket problem, more than likely......I cant see any liner problems at this stage unless there's part of the story missing!
If it was mine I'd lift the head for a look see...its worth a new head gasket but if there are liner problems then its a new motor really.
John :)

Lift head off, or do a cylinder leakage test with compressed air.

Take the spark plug out and screw in a air line fitting. Put No.1 at the top with the vales closed and apply 3-4 bar of air pressure to the cylinder.

Get your mate to put the car in top gear and hold their foot on the brake while under test.

If you have a leak you will hear the air escaping, simple :D
Probably a valve as the gas tends to be a bit hard on them.

Recreational engine stripping is against my nature, only go in if you have to.

PS Is it still a Vee engine used in the petrol Transit? If so make sure you lift the correct head? All diesel over here
Let us know how you get on

Cheers chaps no none of the story is missing don't think it's over heated no idea as they don't have a temp gauge on the LPG vans. When on petrol its super thirsty £1.30 a mile put £20 in get 20miles I'm not joking. That's why I ask how you test the injectors?

Sponsored Links
Easiest way would be to swap them around and see if the fault moves with the injector.

Tipex/mark first

With the engine cold remove the expansion bottle cap, start the engine and let it warm up. 9 times out of 10 if your head gasket is blown you will get a lot of bubbles appearing in the water as the high pressure gasses in the cylinder leak into the water jacket.
If you do decide to take the head off remember to check with a straight edge and feelers for any warping.
TTFN

Back