transition between steel and brick on a extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi folks looking to extend a bungalow one of the things we wish to do is to convert the current conservatory to a brick structure with 2 sliding walls of glass doors 12ft and 8 ft with second floor above.

i have no problem putting the steel in place however the one thing i am not sure of is how to do the transition from the steel to brick work that will be built on top.

is it as simple as laying the bricks on a bed of morter on top of the steel if so wont they just slip off if given a hard push ?????

i have done a quick drawing below of what i am on about and i hope this makes sense

sorry also forgot to ask how do you fill in the sides of the i beams externally ready for rendering, internally i was going to use wood infill blocks then a sheet of OSB to get it flat and level and then plaster board and then plastered with the rest of the roof. will this cause a temperature difference and cause condensation to form on the steel work ????

cheers

jon

bricktosteel.jpg

Sponsored Links
I have no problem putting the steel in place however the one thing i am not sure of is how to do the transition from the steel to brick work that will be built on top.

is it as simple as laying the bricks on a bed of morter on top of the steel if so wont they just slip off if given a hard push ?????
Usually OK to bed the bricks directly onto the top of the steels as the weight will hold everything in place, but for a bit more assurance you could tack weld some galvanised EML to the top flange to give a good mortar key.
sorry also forgot to ask how do you fill in the sides of the i beams externally ready for rendering...
Again, use galvanised EML stretched tightly between the flanges of the beam to give a key for the render. You might need some bits of steel welded between the flanges at 600mm centres to tack the EML to.

The brickwork wont be going anywhere, and with that design, the the gable will need restraining back to the roof or ceiling/floor joists anyway

If you are just rendering the beam, with brickwork above, then you need to think about the detail so that rain does not run down the face and behind the render. You will need something more than a cavity tray

thanks for that folks. the whole building will be rendered so there will be drip kickers.

Is it worth welding some lugs/L brackets onto the beams to stop any movement of the brick work rather than using EML.

on the outside of the beams i was going to use wooden blocks to infill the gap then use cement/render board to give a flat surface eml then render.

cheers

jon

Sponsored Links
thanks for that folks. the whole building will be rendered so there will be drip kickers.

Is it worth welding some lugs/L brackets onto the beams to stop any movement of the brick work rather than using EML.

on the outside of the beams i was going to use wooden blocks to infill the gap then use cement/render board to give a flat surface eml then render.

cheers

jon

I'd bolt some timber into the web and not just rely on hammered-in blocks on the exterior.
Simon.

sorry simon may be i did not make it clear. the outside of the I beam when the void in the beam is i will fill with wooden blocks bolted 24" on centre. then OSB over the top, then render board eml and render.

cheers

jon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back