Transporting fridge/freezer.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to transport a fridge/freezer ( Bosch, about 5 years old ). It is too tall for my enclosed van. Is it OK to transport it on it's side or back ( all the pipes and fins on the back are protected) ? I'm not too sure so any advice would be welcome.
Thanks in advance. :)

Sponsored Links
yep will be ok. Just make sure you leave it vertical for a few hrs/overnight before plugging it in

If you look at the compressor there are three pipes, one short, one thick and one thin. If you lay the machine on it's side with the THIN tube uppermost, that is he delivery tube, then no oil will get into the system so you can plug it in as soon as you like when in position.

Colin

Sorry Colin 1 that isn't the case, you want to get the Thicker pipe (suction) uppermost as the oil cant go down the delivery (discharge) pipe as the oil won't get past the compressor valve reeds, but it will travel down the suction pipe and stay in the evaporator. If you lay any fridge on it's side or back go with ^neo^ advice
cheers

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your help. It seems I should be OK but am a little confused about the conflict of advice in the last two posts. Anyone else like to offer anything?
Thanks again. :confused:

Thank you Racket, I bow to your superior knowledge, I have been doing it wrong for the last 36 years moving refrigeration units on the wrong side but thankfully have never had a problem (very lucky) I have always assumed any oil leaving the compressor in the suction line would not actually get into the evaporator as it would be higher than the compressor and when the compressor starts to run any oil in the suction line would get pulled back into the compressor, but any oil entering delivery line through weak, leaking valves would get pushed into the evaporator causing a restriction.
Ps. I've been informing hundreds of people incorrectly as well, thankfully haven't had anyone come back to complain of a problem.(very very lucky)

Colin

Sorry Dorset, your a long way from Dorset, our posts crossed as you can see from times.
It would always be best practice to allow unit to stand to allow any oil to drain into the compressor, but the rest is said in my previous reply, I have never had a restriction through my moving a unit and other that small units they have all been moved on their side delivery side up, but I don't want to tell you incorrectly so let it stand.

Best wishes and good luck

Colin

Thanks colin 1. I now know what to do. I'll let you know how I get on at the weekend.
PS. I am actually in Devon but was in Dorset. ( I pressed Dumfriesshire by mistake when registering. I think it's next to Dorset on the list!!!! ) :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back