travel plugs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im going on holiday to Spain and I have 2 different kinds of travel adaptors one is 10amp and one is 7.5 amp both 240v. The 7.5a says its for none earthed appliances only but Im not sure what that exactaly means because i thought all our plugs in the UK were earthed? I will be using a mobile phone charger, mp3 charger, an electric shaver and a hair dryer while Im away if that helps.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Class 2 appliances have no earth connection

As you mentioned an mp3 and phone charger are considered Class 2

A Kettle for instance is a Class one appliance and will be earthed

You can usually tell by looking at the pins on the plug if the earth pin is plastic it is double insulated and does not need an earth connection

Hi thanks for the quick reply. So does that mean that the 10amp plug is for the larger items like the hairdryer? Also the electric shaver has 2 pins does it still need a travel adaptor?

Hi thanks for the quick reply. So does that mean that the 10amp plug is for the larger items like the hairdryer? Also the electric shaver has 2 pins does it still need a travel adaptor?

Without seeing it I can't be 100% but it would certainly seem logical

Not sure about the shaver TBH not been to Spain

Sorry

Sponsored Links
The hairdryer says 13A on it so Im guessing no? The shaver is a 2 pin and says 2.5 on it it also has the same size pins as the adaptor.

Double insulated or class 2 appliances have a square within a square symbol stamped on them, thus:-
lights.gif

Double insulated appliances usually have an oval mains flex instead of a round flex too.

... The 7.5a says its for none earthed appliances only but Im not sure what that exactaly means because i thought all our plugs in the UK were earthed? ...

Our sockets are earthed, but not all Spanish ones might be.

Or the 7.5A adapter does not carry the earth.

Anywhere south/east of Calais you might as well shove matchsticks in the sockets. And they speak foreign as well. Have you considered a nice break in Skeggy instead?

Get a 4-way trailing socket strip and a rewireable Type E / F hybrid
CEE 7/7 plug.

220px-CEE_7-7.jpg

Remove the UK plug, fit the CEE 7/7.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back