Travertine tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently bought some large 600 x 400 mm Travertine wall and floor tiles for my bathroom.

I have put 15mm WBP Ply on the floor areas, and all the walls are plastered, besides a new partition around the shower area which has been lined with aquapanel.

After being sold ready mixed tile adhesive and realising i need to take it back, i am now curious as to what type of adhesive would be most suitable.

Also in the shower/bath area i believe it is sometimes needed to tank these areas? is this essential? and also what size trowel/tiling technique should be used in the "wet" areas?

Also any suggestions for grouts?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I have recently bought some large 600 x 400 mm Travertine wall and floor tiles for my bathroom.

I have put 15mm WBP Ply on the floor areas, and all the walls are plastered, besides a new partition around the shower area which has been lined with aquapanel.

After being sold ready mixed tile adhesive and realising i need to take it back, i am now curious as to what type of adhesive would be most suitable.

Also in the shower/bath area i believe it is sometimes needed to tank these areas? is this essential? and also what size trowel/tiling technique should be used in the "wet" areas?

Cheers

defo need powdered addy mate, flexi and also flexi grout, bal, mapei etc are all good ones.
Yes you would be better off to tank the shower/ bath area

yes the ply is just an overboarding. Can you recomend any type of adhesive? flexible/rapidset?

and in regard to the tanking there are only around 3 exposed edges in the bath/shower area's and about £60 seems expensive for such a litttle area! (about 5m2)

Sponsored Links
Any flexible tile adhesive is fine, you can buy it ready mixed or preferably in powder form with a bottle of flexi additive. if walls are newly plastered then apply a weak pva mix beforehand to help adhesion, new plaster will dry your ahesive out before you get chance to put a tile on and only spread enough adhesive to cover maybe 4 tiles (approx 1m/2) or even 2 tiles if your not sure.

Tile adhesive is waterbased so i always use a thinned out pva solution on plywood just to slow the drying time down a bit, giving you chance to get it right.

You can buy coloured grout to match your travertine, i think it looks better than white but it is a personal matter of taste. flexi additive required again for the grout on the floor only.

why spend time and money on tanking? if your tiling is sealed there's not much point.
generally, trowel size is relateto tile size, large tiles = large trowel. A 12mm square notched trowel should be fine for your project. Use it at 45 degrees. I personally use an ordinary plastering trowel for speed and smoothness to get the stuff on the wall/floor then use the notched .

Hi,

Cheers

defo need powdered addy mate, flexi and also flexi grout, bal, mapei etc are all good ones.
Yes you would be better off to tank the shower/ bath area

PVA is not advisable in a bathroom,it creates a weak link,acrylic primer is the way to go and is only a few pounds more.

And using a tanking kit is worth the extra.

Tub adhesive would not be recommended either,a powdered flexi adhesive is best.

travertine on plastered walls ? far to heavy 20kg per sqm max you would you might just manage plasterboard at 32 kg per sqm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back