Treating Joists

DMB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
++++++++++++++++++

Hi all, first post here!

Seems a helpful place so far.!

Just had the loft walls plastered (not something I was going to attempt!!) and now im painting it. Most of my furniture in there is a light beech wood, and therefore the dark wooden joists cant stay that way.

Im painting the walls white, and am probably going to do the joists white as well.

What I need to know is whether I need to treat the joists before painting... can I just slap the paint on??

+++++++++++++++++
Moderator's note:

Hello and welcome to the forums.
Please familiarise yourself with //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19448
starting with 1 and 1a

I will remove your duplicate posts. You put the same question three times.

Mod Rupert
+++++++++++++++++++

Sponsored Links
You mean treat with preservative?

Is it an old house? Is it damp? Is it centrally-heated and occupied all year? Are there signs of insect attack?

Or did you mean wood-primer?

p.s. when you say joists, do you mean holding the floor up? I'm surprised you can see them. Aren't there floorboards on top and plaster below them?

JohnD said:
You mean treat with preservative?

Is it an old house? Is it damp? Is it centrally-heated and occupied all year? Are there signs of insect attack?

Or did you mean wood-primer?

p.s. when you say joists, do you mean holding the floor up? I'm surprised you can see them. Aren't there floorboards on top and plaster below them?
Hi John thanks for your reply.

Sorry, I meant beams. The house is warm and occupied all year. Its a 1950s house so not really old. No signs of attack.

I was just wondering whether I need to prime the beams at all. I don't think i'll need to, but thought I would ask just in case, before going ahead and painting the beams.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Yes, you do normally need a primer. One coat paints are relatively expensive and relatively poor.

You might like to use an acrylic primer-undercoat (indoors only). It is thinned with water, cheap, and goes on pretty easily, and dries fast. You can put two or three coats on in a day. I expect your beams are rough-sawn so will never have a very smart finish, and would look better in matt. However they will also get quite dirty.

JohnD said:
Yes, you do normally need a primer. One coat paints are relatively expensive and relatively poor.

You might like to use an acrylic primer-undercoat (indoors only). It is thinned with water, cheap, and goes on pretty easily, and dries fast. You can put two or three coats on in a day. I expect your beams are rough-sawn so will never have a very smart finish, and would look better in matt. However they will also get quite dirty.

Hi John, thanks for your help.

Last night, having painted the walls white, we agreed that the beams will probably look better just stained. I am able to get the wood smooth as I have a sander. Although, if I am staining them - will they need sanding?? They may look just as good rough.

Whats your opinion on this?

Oh, I presume with a stain I won't need to use a primer??

Sorry for all ther questions, but i'll be starting it tonight and need all the help I can get :LOL:

If they are rough-sawn, they will take a LOT of sanding, and the dust will make everything filthy.

You might manage it with a belt sander with dust extraction, or maybe a planer would be quicker on the long straight runs with no nails.

Sand blasting will get them clean but will leave raised grain. So will power washing but not so much. If you can get them clean you might consider an oiled finish. Hand scrubbiung might do it without damage but you will get some warping.

Not something I would be trying and have never done it in a built envirionment.

Maybe there are some barn convertors on here who have done something similar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back