Treatment for doors and shelves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have 3 chunky solid oak shelves in my kitchen which I have been oiling as per instructed by the manufacturer. The oil is vegetable oil which was supplied, but its not like vegetable oil I have seen before. Its has no aroma and has a similar consistancy as water. I want to know where I can aquire more of this type of oil as it has not changed the colour or shade etc. of the shelves. I am hoping to treat all the oak doors in my house also and again I do not want any change in colour.

Sponsored Links
Well why not go back to the original supplier and ask?

Oils will always darken the timber to which they are applied to a greater or lesser extent - one of the thinnest, least pungent and lightest (almost clear) oils I know of is walnut oil, although I do know of one turner who uses rapeseed oil. Whilst this is used to finished turned timber, I've never seen it used to finish worktops as it's durability is suspect. Almost everything else in common use (linseed, tung, danish, stand, etc) darkens to an extent and has a distinctive aroma. Have you tried taking the bottle to a professional decorator's suppliers, such as McDougal-Rose?

Scrit

Could it be Camellia / Camelia oil ????

It's a plant oil, very thin consistency, does not leave a tint or colour and has no aroma.....

I use it to to protect my hand tools, but it has many other uses.

I could be way off.....but try googling it.

Sponsored Links
Hi, Thanks for the info. The supplier is a scandanavian country from whom my kitchen supplier receives many wooden items from.They tried to get some info for me but had no luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back