Tree near house

It's that size THIS year, it will get bigger every year. That sort of straight-out explosive growth looks like what happens after a tree's been trimmed back. The trunks are pretty huge, the roots will be big so it will have reached the house and will just want to grow and grow.

I like trees, just not in a tiny garden right next to a house.

It looks like the neighbours have a decent car, they may be glad to get rid of them.

Sponsored Links
I am horticulturally challenged. If the tree is on a clay substrate, wouldn't watering it during particularly dry summers reduce the risk of it sucking too much moisture out of the ground?

I am horticulturally challenged. If the tree is on a clay substrate, wouldn't watering it during particularly dry summers reduce the risk of it sucking too much moisture out of the ground?
It'll probably make it grow quicker and want more!

You'd need 100s of litres to make any difference anyway.

A few hundred quid to a man with a chainsaw would permanently solve the problem.

Sponsored Links
Given all this I’m surprised the survey didn’t even give the tree a mention, it was the one thing I thought would get picked up.

Back in 2012 i had a pear tree in my garden , about 16m away from house bordering on fence of neighbour, it would bear fruit everyear. Pears would fall in my garden and some next door. Most of it would be eaten by birds n squirrels and the mess would liter my garden, every year i had to pick them up and fill 3 large bags of it and throw them away, it was a pain as tree would also shed leaves.

Then next door wanted to do their fence and some work in their garden, they said a cutter is coming in would i like to chop the tree, i jumped at it, i was charged a cheap rate n the whole tree was chainsawed to the stump resulting in a cleaner garden with no mess.

Then next door wanted to do their fence and some work in their garden, they said a cutter is coming in would i like to chop the tree, i jumped at it, i was charged a cheap rate n the whole tree was chainsawed to the stump resulting in a cleaner garden with no mess.

We used to have two weeping willows, one of which was absolutely massive. Every years, the garden would be inundated will the fall out from them, I cut both down decades ago. Much less such problems now.

At the end of my street, there is a residential road, which is planted end to end with cherry blossom trees, between the front garden and the roadside - looks great in the spring.

Thanks all. My only concern at this point is structural damage to the house and it seems on balance that’s not likely to be a huge worry with no solution.

Try getting an insurance quote, with and without declaring the tree. See how much of an issue they think it is.

Personally I think it looks ridiculous and will make the house way too dark. But I definitely would be concerned about subsidence, just from it sucking the water out of the ground. All trees do it, some are worse than others, but there aren't such things as good or bad varieties - it's a matter of how big and how close. Those are big and very close.

You'll have to get used to the cladding and windows getting tapped on when the wind blows!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back