tree roots near proposed foundations!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
approx 6metres from where my foundations will be dug is a conifer in neighbours garden. approx 6-7 m high. do you think my footings should be deeper?

i have a clay in the soil.

Sponsored Links
Sorry to jump in but I've got a problem with tree roots aswell, A neighbours tree is situated about one metre from the wall of a barn that I am hoping to convert, Ideally I would want to remove the tree, but if the neighbour is unwilling to negotiate (highly probable) can I just cut the roots where they enter my land? how do I get round this???? :(

a 1000mm dig from external ground level is acceptable in virgin earth, though root barrier foundations can godown as mutch as 1500mm (depending on root size,lie of the land etc).

Sponsored Links
foundations proposed at 1000mm , probably trench fill. not sure if i will hit roots. who will best advise.... building control???

i've also hear that cutting down the tree won't help as tree roots will cause heave in soil.

if i have to go deeper would it have to be all way round extension?

Usually you go 300mm below any roots found in trench. Depth will depend on tree type and soil. Is the conifer a cypress? What is the clay like; thick like toffee? crumbly? sandy?

Hi, Static...you`ve not met 3metre Peter from Wealden BCO, then :LOL: You must be in that foreign county, W. Sussex.

Rule of thumb for a conifer is "safe distance" is half the height away from the centre of the tree - in your case anywhere over 3m should be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back