trianco oil combi boiler flame keeps going on and off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been having problems with my ignition transformers burning out on my boiler for 3 years. I just had it serviced recently to try to cure this problem. the engineer couldnt find anything wrong!!

Anyway i have been watching my boiler for a while now and it has been ok since the service but tonight i have found the burner flame keeps going out which then makes the ignition transformer come back on. this im sure is what is burning the transformers out.

Does anyone know why this is happening. I have had the chimney swept 2 weeks ago which was clear anyway ,i have had the boiler set up by a qualified engineer, i have replaced the fuel nozzel, control box and the photocell in recent weeks. The fuel filter is also clean.

My boiler is exhausted through the chimney.

The problem with my ignition transformers burning out started about 3 years ago but it is now getting more frequent

Sponsored Links
Your ignition transformer is burning out because of the near constant demand on it.
It would be interesting to know what the fuel pressure has been set at, and also the results of the flue gas analysis that should have been done.
If yours is a Riello burner, replace the coil on top of the oil pump that keeps the oil switched on, and try running the burner without its cover if it has one.
Did your engineer comment on the state of the baffles, inside the boiler?
John :)

What Burner is fitted? at a guess i'd say Ecoflam Max or Ecoflam Minor?
you need to find out why the flame is becoming unstable as constant re-ignition will kill transformers particularly the Danfoss EBI units! ;)

neilhome1804";p="1810520 said:
You have to first find out what is causing the flame to go out, things to investigate are, water in the oil line, pump shaft connection to motor shaft worn, causing intermittent slipping, faulty oil solenoid coil etc. assuming that the burner has been correctly commissioned.

spraggo

Sponsored Links
I have been paying regular visits to a Trianco Iona HE 50/90. It has burnt through three transformers in a year and keeps locking out due to dirty photocell. Oil pressure and CO2 are correct, before you ask.

I have replaced the seals of the flue but still had problems. Latest thing, having spoken to Trianco, was to cut away some of the insulation on the flue door. I also enlarged the minute slots on the front of the baffles to improve combustion gas flow through the boiler.

I am still waiting to see how this goes... on previous form it would have locked out by now, but not heard anything.

In my opinion this boiler should be scrapped, as it is so unreliable. Easy for me to say, because I won't be paying!

I didn't buy, install or commission the boiler by the way!

as far as i know the burner was set up to the settings in the burner booklet. he did adjust the fuel pressure last time.

the burner is a ecoflam max.

i have been in touch with the engineer and he says he is going to replace the solanoid on the pump.

Pump solenoid is not the problem; it wouldn't be that intermittent. Which boiler is it? If conventional flue ( through chimney) then contamination of combustion air is not the problem. Is the room in which the boiler is situated properly ventilated? Is it starved of air?

Oilhead is right, can't have POC/air intake recirculation with CF. Some CF Triancos have a snorkel fitted to take air from higher point in boiler case (stops low level pet hairs at getting into fan blades). If yours has one check it's not restricted. Ecoflam Max normally has a basket shape air intake cap with CF models.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back