trickle vents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've completed the extension and consciously decided not to go with trickle vents. There's plenty of ventilation in the room should I need it and I am also conscious that at most times I want to be well insulated. Long story...

How do I temporarily stick these vents on to my windows so the inspector doesn't get hung up on them. I then want to remove them without any damage to my windows.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Blutak? Double-sided tape?

(What other sort of ventilation do you have?)

Will this stuff be strong enough? I don't want it to drop whilst the dear inspector is here!

I doubt anyone here has the first-hand experience needed to tell you definitively whether it will work!

Sponsored Links
On my kitchen extension the BCO said a trickle vent needed to be on just one window. On doing some further reading I read trickle vents are not required on kitchen, bathroom or utility rooms. Don’t know if this is correct. I can only assume that it is because these rooms require mechanical ventilation.

On this info I’ve not got trickle vents. If anyone corrects me, I too will be blue tacking a trickle vent on for the completion inspection. Good to see other devious people out there!

a mate has suggested velcro. Its tough enough to hold picture frames apparently!
Will let you know how it goes.

On doing some further reading I read trickle vents are not required on kitchen, bathroom or utility rooms. Don’t know if this is correct. I can only assume that it is because these rooms require mechanical ventilation.

Yes, I think that's right.

How do I temporarily stick these vents on to my windows so the inspector doesn't get hung up on them. I then want to remove them without any damage to my windows.
:LOL:that's epic! I want to see photos.
And agreed with other posters, if it's UPVC you can stick with a glue gun even. Are you sure he/she won't open the vents and blow through them?

If there is "plenty of ventilation" already, then you won't need to bother with your poxy ruse.
True, but unless the plenty of ventilation is a fixed standard extraction system it would have to be commissioned according to the prescribed procedure and the certificate provided to demonstrate extract rates and supply where applicable, so it might save some cash to skip that

True, but unless the plenty of ventilation is a fixed standard extraction system it would have to be commissioned according to the prescribed procedure and the certificate provided to demonstrate extract rates and supply where applicable, so it might save some cash to skip that

Oh. I thought that the OP either knows the b/regs requirement and so has enough ventilation already, or is either a tight arse and wanted to save £6.78 on a £35k extension, or just didn't realise that you can fit trickle vents and actually keep them closed if he wanted to.

It's not brain surgery woody, he doesn't wanna spend £35k on an extension and stick stupid ugly vents in his windows which even when closed allow sound transmission and drafts, he seems to be a grown up and capable of opening a window all on his own.

Ok that's cool.

Has he also put 400mm foundations in like all the old houses, no insulation because the new heating is already efficient, some non-standard wire from eBay China which is thick enough and seems ok and no-one looks at colours anyway, and run the drains where he likes because they will still work?

I don't know why he bothered with all this regulation and plans nonsense to begin with. There's another £1.5k saving straight off. That would have paid for a boat load of blutak and sellotape.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back