Tricky PlanPerm Question: Commerical flats to Residential?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I was wondering if anyone could help me out.

I'm thinking of buying a property which is currently two two-bed flats used as staff accommodation for the adjoining pub. I have been advised by the agent that the property is listed as for Commercial Use.

I wish to restore it to the original 4-bed house that it used to be, and therefore need to apply for a Change of Use permission from commercial to residential.

My problem is that the property is ALREADY a dwelling, intended for staff of the previous business. What category would this fall into on the paperwork? It's not a hotel or care home, it's not the pub itself... I'm very confused!

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I think I'd be tempted maybe to put residential on the form and see if the Local Planning Authority pick it up. Do the flats pay seperate residential council tax currently?

Could do it PD if you want to play the game of changing the A4 into B1 for a while, then changing the B1 into a C3 before the 30th May 2015 ?

My problem is that the property is ALREADY a dwelling, intended for staff of the previous business.

I don't think the required level of separation would be present for it to be considered an individual dwelling as opposed to ancillary accommodation, but I may be wrong.. Like Architexeter says, youre probably best just applying to change the pub into a house, citing it as a former use, and don't complicate matters by mentioning the flats

Sponsored Links
You're right. There used to be connections between the house I want to buy and the pub, but these have now been walled up. So I guess they were once able to call the whole building commercial, and now there's two separate properties.

So would you recommend just applying to change from pub to house - as this would be the simplest?

I'd put in the details section that the part I'm actually talking about is already residential, so no change to the outside needs to be made.

Thank you for your help, everyone! Very much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back