triiso super 10 +

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
Can anyone recommend Triiso super 10 + foil insulation for a loft conversion
or put it another way does it do what it says on the tin?
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
There has been immense controversy with regard these kind of products with dubious testing and marketing techniques used by some of the manufacturers over the years and for a long time many Building Control departments would not accept it. Generally they are little more understood nowadays and have BRE certification and are usually accepted by BC now though really why you would use them is a bit of a mystery tbh, you need an air gap either side and additional insulation to get you up to the required U Value so the space saving marketing really is a lot of spiel, not to mention the cost.

Cheaper to just use Celotex or Kingspan.

There has been immense controversy with regard these kind of products with dubious testing and marketing techniques used by some of the manufacturers over the years and for a long time many Building Control departments would not accept it. Generally they are little more understood nowadays and have BRE certification and are usually accepted by BC now though really why you would use them is a bit of a mystery tbh, you need an air gap either side and additional insulation to get you up to the required U Value so the space saving marketing really is a lot of spiel, not to mention the cost.

Cheaper to just use Celotex or Kingspan.
Thanks for your imput I was thinking of the height in my loft conversion?

Yes but typically you might save say 10mm or sumink. You have to fix it beneath your rafters. Then fit 25mm battens (to get your 25mm air gap beneath it). Then fit a layer of rigid insulation (say 40mm) and plasterboard beneath that.

Sponsored Links
Yes but typically you might save say 10mm or sumink. You have to fix it beneath your rafters. Then fit 25mm battens (to get your 25mm air gap beneath it). Then fit a layer of rigid insulation (say 40mm) and plasterboard beneath that.
Thanks point taken.

I would like to address several points raised in this discussion:-

1) Why it is not better to use rigid insulation boards
It is not cheaper to use PIR board insulation there are many factors which make this more expensive than other methods
a. material
b. time to cut each board between timbers
c. waste ….
Timber rafters/studs are subject to thermal expansion ….ensuring the right insulation is properly fitted is key and this is near impossible when it comes to rigid board insulation…. rigid board insulation is not flexible and cannot adapt to the natural timber movements, and when expanding foam is used to compensate for this it does not have the same thermal properties as the board! How much effort and time does it take to try and fit rigid insulation in timbers? And what are the chances of it permanently being a tight fit??! Think about it! The best choice for these types of applications, is flexible fibre insulation.

2) Multifoil acceptance
In terms of acceptance for these products the LABC are pretty clear with regard to the accredited testing see the link below for the latest publication
“thermal performance of all insulation materials should be determined by testing to National, European or International standards by organisations which have been accredited to do so” …..“we are currently unaware of a harmonised standard in respect of comparative testing”
http://www.labc.uk.com/Media/Defaul...ance with Regulation 7 and Requirement L1.pdf

3) Multifoil Performance
There are several reasons multifoil insulation (if accredited) is good solution in conjunction with mass insulation
a. It addresses all 3 thermal energy transfers… radiation, conduction and convection for a better all round, sustainable performance
b. It does reduce the mass insulation thickness required
c. It does reduce thickness of total insulation
d. In my opinion it is always better used in conjunction with fibre insulation not PIR/Rigid board and this will be cost effective, time saving and more efficient

I suggest you think of the overall picture and have a look more closely at the different choices

….
Timber rafters/studs are subject to thermal expansion ….ensuring the right insulation is properly fitted is key and this is near impossible when it comes to rigid board insulation…. The best choice for these types of applications, is flexible fibre insulation.

In my opinion it is always better used in conjunction with fibre insulation not PIR/Rigid board

Eh..???!!!

blah blah blah
So you agree its more expensive and overall the space saved is minimal if any and its accepted by BC.

So which parts of my posts are wrong? Which manufacturer do you work for?

And the opinion of a single poster is highly sceptical.

eh? no i dont agree that using multifoil insulation systems are more expensive than using Rigid insulation alone. If fibre insulation + reflective insulation is combined to get appropriate thermal value i believe this is the most cost effective solution

Triiso doesn't have a BBA when used solo, plain and simple it requires a pir also to make it work. By the time you factor in over battens and the fact it's a pig to cut there is no point. Ive done probably 50 loft conversions all under local authority inspection control and can tell you now , go kingspan or celotex etc cheaper easier and actually does the job plus it had an Element of soundproofing which triiso doesn't.

The only time I consider triiso is on a detached property over a roof in its entirety then your pir build underneath is not costing you to much room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back