Triple glazing or double glazing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently had our 30year old upvc double glazing replaced,as we felt it wasn't up to todays standard,
We got a quote, and paid extra for Triple glazing, now that it is all installed, realy good and neat job,
How can I tell it is actally triple and not double? what does Triple look like?
see attached Photo

Attachments

• IMG_20220924_162751059_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220924_162751059_HDR.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 109
Sponsored Links
Agree, looks like double to me too, if it were triple you'd see 2 spacer bars or certainly a join in the middle indicating there are 2 spacer bars

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220927_113013.jpg
    Screenshot_20220927_113013.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 42
Sponsored Links
I agree with previous posters, that does look like double glazing rather than triple. Shine a phone torch onto it, if you see 4 reflections then it's double glazing, if you see 6 reflections then it's triple glazing

Thanks for your observations, been back to the company that did the job, they checked their order,
and it appears that because of the size of the panels, they changed it to double glazing with 6mm glass, saying that
is more energy and sound efficient than triple.....
How do you measure glass effiiciency , Have I been Had?
They said they rang me and I agreed to this over the phone?? he must have got a wrong number.
The invoice just says supply and fit 6 widows, I have asked for an itemised invoice
,if we come to sell, any buyer would need this info.

Thanks for your observations, been back to the company that did the job, they checked their order,
and it appears that because of the size of the panels, they changed it to double glazing with 6mm glass, saying that
is more energy and sound efficient than triple.....
How do you measure glass effiiciency , Have I been Had?
They said they rang me and I agreed to this over the phone?? he must have got a wrong number.
The invoice just says supply and fit 6 widows, I have asked for an itemised invoice
,if we come to sell, any buyer would need this info.
How big are the panels?
If they are saying that double glazing with 6mm is more efficient thermally and acoustically, ask for the figures for both double and triple glazing. The windows will have a U value and an overall energy index, as well as the sound reduction value.

Also, for a tenner you can get yourself a glass thickness measuring gauge. After you receive an itemised invoice, you can check that it is 6mm as they are saying and not the usual 4mm.
7162PlyF44L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Triple glazing is almost double the cost of double glazing, so if they quoted you for triple and charged what they quoted, but installed double glazing there is something very amiss. I would get back on to them and insist on triple, or have them agree a partial refund. You should have a quote on paper, a written receipt, plus the official installation paperwork.

Triple glazing is almost double the cost of double glazing, so if they quoted you for triple and charged what they quoted, but installed double glazing there is something very amiss. I would get back on to them and insist on triple, or have them agree a partial refund. You should have a quote on paper, a written receipt, plus the official installation paperwork.
In my case, for a kitchen window the cost for double and triple glazing was roughly £400 vs £500, so more like a 25% increase. But I do agree with everything else.

widow sizes were 1800mm x 1400mm, and 3 of 1800mm x 110mm.and 2 smaller windows in the bathroom.
It was only £700 more for triple over the 6 windows,
I have no doubt that 6mm glass has been used,
i need to see some evidence of how efficient double/triple glazing can be against thicker glass double.
Is there a table of energy efficiency?
He said he remembers ringing me and me agreeing to the change, so some random person must have spoken to him.
i will await the itemised invoice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back