Tripping RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya

Ok i am getting stressed :evil:
I have an intermittent fault that is not blowing any fuses just tripping the RCD.
The problem is it can go nearly a week without tripping, i know i can test this by unplugging things but its not exactly realistic for a week to unplug the fridge, freezer etc etc.
Is there some bit of equipment i can get or would a sparky be able to hunt down the fault some how :?:
It is starting to drive me wild as it has no specific pattern, i have tried turning everything on a couple of two bar electric fires, boiler, washing machine, cooker, kettle, toaster, microwave, lights you name it i have had it on down to belt sander and table saw being switched on but nothing so i don't think its an overload problem.
Its running old style metal fuses the only thing thats changed is new RCD as the old one failed but this was changed a while ago and the fault is quite new.
Suppose the one thing i want to know after all this is can a electrician hunt down the problem and how much is it likely to cost to have him try.

Hope you can help

Martin

Sponsored Links
have you read the 5 posts at the bottom of this page, and tried the suggestions?

Hiya JohnD

Yeh i have looked through them but being honest i hate playing with electric far as i will go is replacing a light rose and thats if i'm feeling adventurous.
It seems from reading the posts i have a earth fault of some kind or at least i think is do as i said not to clever with electric. Thats why i didn't say earth fault problem.
As a i have an old style fuse box with pull out re-wire type fuses every other post seems to have a new style box not sure if that changes things either.
Was looking for advice as to what to ask or what to make sure a electrician should do etc and also how bad cost wise it could be as again from reading the posts this can be a real pain in the a...e to track down.
Sorry for being so ignorant but reading the posts i only understand about half of what they are talking about.

Martin

Martin any chance you can take a pic of your fuse box and RCD?

I am slightly at a loss as to how you have re-wireable fuses with RCD protection.

Do any of the other chaps see my thought here?

Sponsored Links
Hiya oharaf

Yeh i can take some pics but will have to be tomorrow

The RCD or what i assume to be the RCD is a separate box
Its what i would have called a trip switch until i learned what it was called, it has been changed for a newer one but thats all always had one for years.
Everyone other post i looked at like the one where the lights flicker or a oven problem, mine does not do this just everything goes out and it can happen at any time mainly at night to be fair, but nothing being turned on specially etc.
Sorry i'm not much help but its all double dutch to me with MCM, RCD,etc etc.

Martin

mainly at night
Might be mice or puppy coming out when the house is quiet and gnawing cables

might be something you mostly have on at night, e.g. a bedroom or night storage heater

it is more often a watery appliance such as immersion heater, washing machine, kettle, electric shower

might be condensation or rain e.g. in an outdoor lamp or shed circuit

you have to unplug (not just switch off) suspect appliances. See if this helps. If it does, leave half of them plugged in and see if it comes back. If not, try the other half of your appliances.

As you have rewirable fuses I expect your wiring installation is generally old and it might be due for replacement. Photos will be useful. Include typical switches, light fittings, the meter and company fuse as well as the "fusebox" and "RCD" and the cables around and between them.

Do you live in town or country? Do you have an overhead or an underground electrical supply? How close is the next house?

Curiously, I had a spate of RCD trips after midnight while the road near me was being dug up, I suspect work on the distribution cables might have been a cause.

Hiya JohnD

I live in the county with overhead cables the main cable in was replaced a couple of years ago as it was very old.

Mice might be a problem as i have heard them in the loft please don't tell me i have got to check the whole loft as i put extra rolls of insulation up there a year or so ago and there are loads of cables up there :(
And as for unplugging things have unplugged most stuff i don't need but as its so imtermitant can;t really go without a freezer fridge for a week.
Also read in one of the posts about a build up of leakage i think from many things so could i have a lot of small leaks then if so i assume it will be even harder to find :eek:

Thanks for your advice though i will try and get some pics for tomorrow

Martin

you can get a 30mA RCD adaptor in garden shops or electrical suppliers (people use them with lawnmowers etc) so it might beworth plugging your freezer into one of them. I suspect your main RCD might be less sensitive than that,so the adaptor may trip first if the freezer is at fault.

Good idea John D.

Does the tripping occur at a particular time of day? Mice like to come out when it's quiet (like night time).

Apart from splitting your circuits in half and waiting for the trip, then splitting in half again ad abs, your best bet would be to get an electrician in. Finding the fault quickly shouldn't be difficult with the right equipment. Fixing it is a different matter...

Thanks JohnD and sparky

Thats a good idea John never thought about a lawnmower RCD at least then i can still use everything and wait for a week.
After looking at the other posts seems water based things are more likely to cause it so can try these first.
Only things i can't change are the boiler (oil) and emersion as they are wired in no plug.
But gives me a hope now of being able to check things myself without being to clued up with electric.

Cheers for your help guys will let you know how it goes but may take a while unless i get real lucky on the first go try lol.

Martin

the boiler, immersion and any electric cooker wallswitch *should* have dual-pole isolators (switches) unless perhaps if they are rather old and/or poor quality brands.

Include them with your photos

Hiya

Sorry have not gotten back to you for a while.
Been away working :(
My other half tells me she has had a few problems but when a bulb in our bedroom blew, one of three and before it blew it flickered and took out the trip with it.
The RCD has not played up since.
Ok only been just over a week but as everything goes through the same RCD wondered if something as simple as this could have caused it.

Will get some pics tomorrow and do my best to upload them.

Many thanks

Martin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back