Tripping RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

About a month ago the main RCD in our CU suddenly started tripping out every 5 minutes. After a bit of head scratching I thought I'd try and turn on appliances independantly to see if they were causing the RCd to trip.

When I went to turn the heating on I heard what I would describe as a very quiet 'arcing' sound coming from the washing machine which is near the heating switch. Pulled the washing machine out was was about to start opening it up to see if I could find the problem, and I realised that it was the socket behind that was making the noise.

The socket has the washing machine and dishwasher plugged into it, always on. Undid the screws on the face plate and slowly pulled it out so I could disconnect the cables and the Neutral cables (I'm pretty sure it was the neutrals) simply slid straight out as the screw had become loose. Tightened them all up properly and it seemed to fix the problem.

However today its tripped again, so I'm assuming that the socket issue was purely coincidence. Now I know that its trial and error to find either a faulty appliance thats causing the problem, or a dodgy piece of house wiring. But seeing as its been a month since it last happened, it could take ages before it happens again.

Whats the best course of action to take? Is there a piece of equipment I can buy to test each appliance without having to wait for it to trip the RCD? I'm wondering if it's the fridge....I have plug style RCD - if I use that will it trip that RCD before the main CU RCD?

Not a split load CU which makes it harder to trace....and more inconvenient!

Thanks, Phil

Sponsored Links
If the plug in RCDs are rated the same as your CU RCD it will be a toss up which goes first, so will not be that helpful.
You have taken the right cause in independently turning appliances/equipment on and off to find the fault.
The chances are it could have well been the faulty socket outlet supplying power to W/M and D/W.
RCD do occasionally trip out.
Reset it and see if the problem continues or if it was just one of them occasional imbalances, that make them trip.
If it does trip out regularly, record if it's at certain times of the day and what equipment was being used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back