Tripping rcd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi looking for advice on a tripping rcd, the customer has already had a new cu fitted, the problem is a Boilermate, works ok on its own 24/7, kitchen appliances work, microwave, dishwasher, oven etc with no problems but as soon as kitchen appliances and Boilermate run at the same time the rcd trips?????
The electrician has come back and put the Boilermate on its own circuit but still the same situation.
I’m a gas engineer so not electrically minded but going back with a sparky tomorrow so anything to look out for?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is that its own MCB circuit or its own RCD circuit? If the former it's obvious...

Seem to have read something like this yesterday, maybe a different forum? I had not heard of Boilermate so looked it up, it has a PWM controlled pump, PWM stands for pulse width modulated, so it can use a higher frequency to standard 50 Hz, so may need type F RCD?

However first what is tripping? PartID_CU.jpg Using RCBO's to use a dedicated one for the Boilermate should mean nothing else will affect it, a RCBO is a MCB and RCD combined, but with the MCB you get multi MCB's fed from one RCD, so adding another will not really help to stop RCD tripping.

We have three tools, the RCD tester RCD tester.jpgis used to see the RCD is doing what it should, the insulation testerVC60B.jpgis used with the circuits dead to check for leaks, but it used DC so will not pick up leaks due to capacitive or inductive linking, so the clamp on Testing voltage.jpg tests the circuit does not exceed 9 mA with a 30 mA RCD. It would seem likely the fault is a neutral earth fault, as with these the more power used, the greater the leakage, and the problem is some thing plugged in even if switched off can cause a earth - neutral fault, so bit of damp toast in the toaster can trip the RCD when the kettle is used.

However with the tools shown an electrician should quickly work out faults like that, so assuming the electrician both knows what he is doing and has the correct test equipment we must be looking at some thing unusual.

Which makes me wonder if the Boilermate needs a type F.

However I remember walking in on an "electrician" working in my late dad's house, and all he had was a multi-meter. So has the electrician actually tested correctly? If he has given the Boilermate it's own circuit but still coming from same RCD, one must question his skill, trial and error can work to an extent, but really we need the meters.

Sponsored Links
Havent you already posted this??

Duplicating means less responses, not more!

Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back