Trouble finding a wireless thermostat for Potterton 80 combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Im completely new to boilers and such and having just purchased my first home,and approaching winter, I now have the need to install a thermostat for the boiler. The old thermostat was non functional when I bought the house.

I am looking to install a wireless unit but am coming up short on what is compatible and what isnt.

Im under the impression that any controller should work as long as I can set the boiler to constant and then let the controller take over. Is that correct?

I have read also that this wont work with my boiler if it has a timer. Mine does. And thats where Im confused about what will and wont work.

Can anyone help clear this up and perhaps recommend a thermostat.
I was hoping Danfoss or one of the better ones.

thanks!

Sponsored Links
You can use any RF stat.

Just set your boiler to constant CH and let the programmable stat control it.

Tony

You can use any RF stat.
Agreed.

Just set your boiler to constant CH and let the programmable stat control it.
If the OP is thinking of a programmable stat, it's not quite as simple as that for the OP's boiler. ;)

The internal time-switch must be disconnected from PL11 on the control board and the prog stat connected to 7 and 8 on the terminal block.

The existing stat will be connected to 3 and 4 on the terminal block. This must be disconnected and a link inserted in its place.

These changes are required to allow the internal frost stat to work.

hello.

well after a bit of a search I have settled on the Honeywell Wireless Programmable Thermostat CMT927. It has good reviews so looks like a winner.

Would anyone know if this will control the temperature of the heaters correctly? Currently I turn the heating on and 'WHOOM' the boiler goes on full whack for an hour to give me a super hot house. This will bring the heaters up to a nice temperature without having to go on full yes?

I will try and put a pic up once I have the thermostat in my hands.. im going to have a read of the manual to see where that PL11 is.

Thanks guys :)

EDIT

Also one other thing - should i start a new thread for this?
The water that comes out of the hot water taps once the boiler is on is super scalding hot? This is supposedly set by the factory. Is there a setting/dial in the boiler that I can adjust to bring the temp down?

cheers!

Sponsored Links
I have settled on the Honeywell Wireless Programmable Thermostat CMT927. It has good reviews so looks like a winner.
A good choice.

Would anyone know if this will control the temperature of the heaters correctly?
Yes, it will.

I will try and put a pic up once I have the thermostat in my hands
No need - we know what they look like. ;)

The water that comes out of the hot water taps once the boiler is on is super scalding hot? This is supposedly set by the factory. Is there a setting/dial in the boiler that I can adjust to bring the temp down?
The boiler controls the flow rate to 7.6 litre/min, which gives a temperature rise of 45C. So if the incoming water is 5C (winter) the hot water will be 50C; and if the incoming water is 20C (summer) the hot water will be 65C. Modern boilers will have a temperature control so the user can set the hot water temperature.

Also one other thing - should i start a new thread for this?

cheers!

According to the manual
http://www.acwilgar.co.uk/Boiler-Manual-PDF/Baxi/BAXI COMBI 80 GCNo.47-393-03.pdf

DHW should be limited to 70degC by the modulating gas control.

If your hot water is hotter than that then the boiler may need to be serviced by a competent gas engineer.

The boiler has a bi-thermal heat exchanger...if the the heating has been on (and the heating temperature is set high) then a hot water draw-off will result in a very hot initial water temperature despite the setting of the hot water temperature control on the boiler....it's a feature of this type of boiler :)

Also bear in mind that temperature control on boilers is generally poor with the temperature overshooting somewhat...this will be exacerbated given the age of this boiler (typically 15 years) and the scale buildup.

I was considering getting the boiler serviced since I dont know the history of how well it was maintained.

I recently signed up with British gas cover.. with all the bad press they got over their boiler engineers .. if they recommend I replace my boiler should I just tell them to sod off? Appart from the hot water issue, the boiler works just fine.

What tell tale signs are there to see if im being scammed on this issue, what should they not be doing to the boiler?

Thanks again :)

I recently signed up with British gas cover.. ....
What tell tale signs are there to see if im being scammed on this issue

The British Gas logo on the paperwork.

A reputable Gas Safe registered fitter will do you a service for a lot less than an annual subscription to the British Gas Directors' Bonus. Put the money you would pay to BG into a savings account.

Ok, so I got the stat and i have the boiler 'face' off.. I can see the main board where I need to install/attach the stat to but Im getting a little confused. I have attached an image with the board layout and stat opened up.

Im reading the manual and just getting confused, added with the info in the above posts. Im just not sure so I wanted to get some advice from you guys.

Could someone draw some lines for me for what bit on the board attaches to what bit on the stat?
see http://imgur.com/qheFp or

I went from :D to :unsure: to :confused: in a matter of minutes! [/img]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back