Trouble wiring lightswitches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two light switch locations; Upstairs which should control the that light only and the downstairs which should control both up and downstairs lights with two separate switches.

Wiring behind double light switch:
http://i.imgur.com/hl2c3crh.jpg

Wiring behind single light switch:
http://i.imgur.com/SANR8doh.jpg

After attempting to wire them up, I was able to control the downstairs light from downstairs but was unable to control the upstairs light from either location. How would I go about wiring them up?

Sponsored Links
Please tell us what terminal markings are on your new switches.

They vary -

Com, L1, L2.
L1, L2, L3. or
L, L1, L2.

Also a picture of the wires behind the other switch that operates the same light(s) as the single switch.

Com, L1, L2 for both.

There's only two light switch locations as the downstairs location (first picture) controls both location's lights with two separate switches side by side. Second picture is where the single switch would only control the light local to it.

You don't have enough wires for the normal method of switching.

Were there any short lengths of wire between the two switches in the downstairs position?

Also, as the Red,Blue,Yellow do not appear downstairs there must be a junction box somewhere.

I don't think it is going to be possible to say which is what without testing for continuity.

Sponsored Links
Ok, but that means -

Downstairs -

ONE of the wires is permanent live to Com-A with link to Com-B

ONE of the wires goes to downstairs light from L1-A

OTHER TWO wires to L1-B & L2-B

Upstairs -

ONE of the wires goes to landing light from Com (probably Red)

OTHER TWO wires to L1 & L2 (probably Blue & Yellow)

Unless you can determine which is which then you will need an electrician.

Do you have a multimeter?
You cannot do electrical work without one.

what you really need is a piece of paper and a pen.

You use this to note down the connections of the wires before you disconnect them.
Simples!

OK, end of sarcasm.

Try this.

Downstairs.

One red to COM
Other red to the other COM
add a piece of red or brown wire between the two COMS

Upstairs
RED to COM
Yellow to L1
Blue to L2

Does it work?
Yes:, great!

or(most likely)

No:, get a multimeter, or call an electrician./

How would I go about wiring them up?
You can opt for Plan A, or Plan B.

PLAN A:
  • Learn how lighting circuits are wired.
  • Get a multimeter and learn how to use it.
  • Identify which conductors are which at the switches and the light positions.
  • Check for voltage present, circuit continuity, switches working etc.
  • Connect everything up properly.
PLAN B:
  • Get an electrician.

If you have two separate lighting circuits (eg up and down), please be aware that the neutral and/or the live may be shared between both up and downstairs. That is if EFLI's assumption is correct.

You must take extra care to fully and safely isolate all circuits and test for live before doing any work.
PS. This arrangement may cause an electrician some fun if your consumer unit is changed in the future!

Some dodgy electrician was the one that messed them up in the first place previously to me being here, and I just wanted to see if it was a 5min DIY job to fix or not.

I have a multi-meter so will have a look later to see what I can grasp. Thanks for all the help, especially the picture.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back