TRV pipes longer than pipes coming out of floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - Apologies as I am not really sure waht I am talking about as my husband is doing this job (apparently!!!)

We are replacing very old radiators with new radiators and putting on nice Drayton Chrome TRV's. All sounds great but when you add all the bits of the TRV and the valve at the other side that is needed, it is miles wider than the pipes that come out of the floor! There doesn;t seem to be a way to make the join between the radiator and the TRV smaller and I am hoping its not because the old rads were about 20 years old and we should have bought something else. A friend suggested the TRV should have been 15mm on one side and bigger on the other side???

PLEASE any help would be appreciated as we're pretty green to plumbing and also forked out £155 on ebay for these TRV's which I doubt will be returnable.

He's doing the job on Saturday as me and the kids out of the house for the weekend.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm a bit confused as to what your problem is - are you saying:

1/. The radiator plus valves is wider than the old one

2/. The pipes are smaller in diameter than the TRV needs

3/. Something else? :confused:

It's the radiator and the valves are wider than what's there. The radiator we bought is the same size as the old one. Very confused!!

You will have to repipe the valves or you might be lucky and be able to move the radiator slightly along on its brackets so that pipe and trv line up.

Sponsored Links
depending on how high up the radiator is from the floor, you'll probably need to cut the pipe either above of below the floorboards and bend a new section of pipe to fit the new position before connecting it up to the old pipework.

What's your friend on about 15mm at one end and something different at the other?

They def still too big even if move radiator. Is repiping valves big job?? What is it??!!

If your other half doesn't know how to drain down and remake some pipework with confidence it would be madness to do this job this weekend. Have you seen the temperature outside?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back