TRV problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This TRV is fitted on the return from a radiator that does not heat up. In the picture the rad has been removed and replaced by a length of poly pipe.

I do not have the full information as it is in a friend's house. Plumber has changed the TRV and the other lock valve and still no flow through rad or the poly pipe after rad removed. Rad was tested with hose in garden and ran freely.

It may be the rad has never worked since my friend moved into the house in summer this year. Until now it has been turned off.

The only time the rad did get hot was when the plumber was in the loft of the single story extension directly above the rad and bringing down buckets of water.

It seems he suspected an air lock as my friend said a auto air release valve was then fitted but did not solve the problem.

I think there is a blockage in the return pipe that the plumber has not found. But I do recall a TRV mounted sideways at another house and that TRV had to te moved to the vertical before it allowed water to flow.

Could that be the problem here. Wrongly installed TRV ?

Sponsored Links
The trv will work in any position,
What type of heating system is it? what boiler is being used?

Remove the pipe and place it into a bucket. Open TRV, any flow? Repeat for the lockshield side, any flow?

Sponsored Links

Room was garage converted to a study by the previous owner.

Rad was a tight fit, removing it damaged the plaster.

I cannot recall what boiler is fitted, I have only been there once when I helped them move home. I do recall it was kettling and pipes were noisy when the tank was heating. The previous owner was a builder who extended the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back