TRV Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently fitted TRV's to all my rad's.
Prior to fitting the valves were just what I would call normal valves on all the rads.
There is a thermostat on the wall in the living room which shut the boiler off once it reached its temperature.
Now since the change the rad's are hot but the rooms feel cold and the boiler stays on constantly, the wall thermostat does not seem to shut it off anymore.
Could i be that the new TRV's are not suitable with our system.
We have a Powermax 155 combi boiler
Any ideas??

Sponsored Links
Just to start the ball rolling, the room with the thermostat shouldn't have a TRV on its radiator.

Ah okay. Should I remove the whole TRV and put the old one back or will just removing the top of the TRV do the trick?

Removing the top will do the trick. The reason why you should leave this one permanently on is that if you don't, then it is entirely possible for all the trvs to close whilst the boiler is still trying to heat and pump water round the system, which is wasteful.

As to whether this will make the house warmer, I can't be certain, but at least it will enable the living room to get up to sufficient temperature to turn the boiler off.

If the radiators are hot, then it could just be that the weather lately is a bit harsher than normal - my own house feels colder than normal.

Sponsored Links
A TRV in the room with the thermostat isn't the end of the world - either leave the TRV on it's highest setting, and leave it there.

If the TRV shuts down before the room reaches the thermostat set temperature, the thermostat will never shut the boiler off.

If you have disturbed the lockshield valves you may need to balance the system. Plemty of details in the wiki.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back