TRV valves, do they fail?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of the radiators in my house stays boiling hot no matter if the TRV valve is turned off or not.

I have swapped the head with another valve from another radiator and it is still doing the same.

The conclusion is that the actual valve is fooked, but in nearly 30 years of having TRVs on my radiators in the houses I've owned, I have never had one fail. The valves in this house are less than 4 years old.

3 months ago, I've had a new combi boiler installed and it appears he didn't do a proper flush, just a quick rinse really. Is there a connection?

Sponsored Links
Was he the cheapest price..............?

Be honest ;)

He was recommended by my neighbour and was cheapish.

I know people go on about 'you get what you pay for' but that's *******s. In these times, you try to get the best price possible, that's all. If a tradesman is recommended, all the better, I thought.

Are you saying there is a connection between a failed valve and the boiler install?

Sponsored Links
Anything CAN fail for any reason. It may or may not be the fault of your installer.

I've had the thermostatic heads fail open, but 4 years life is not long. What brand are they?

As you say the rad stays hot what ever you turn the valve to.
Thats the only thing on the rad to control temp.

So it knackered.

I know people go on about 'you get what you pay for' but that's ****. In these times, you try to get the best price possible, that's all. If a tradesman is recommended, all the better, I thought.

Why do you think some are cheaper than others?

If he was so good then why are you not asking him and getting him to change it? I woud only charge £25 to fit a cheap one after I had fitted a boiler!

As you say the rad stays hot what ever you turn the valve to.
Thats the only thing on the rad to control temp.

So it knackered.

It's just that they are quite simple devices, controlled by expanding wax and a plunger that opens or closes. I can understand it sticking closed, so the rad would stay cold, but sticking open makes no sense to me. If I push the pin down, it moves easily, so why is the plunger not working. :confused:

I've got another one, so that's another job to be getting on with. :rolleyes:

I know people go on about 'you get what you pay for' but that's ****. In these times, you try to get the best price possible, that's all. If a tradesman is recommended, all the better, I thought.

Why do you think some are cheaper than others?

If he was so good then why are you not asking him and getting him to change it? I woud only charge £25 to fit a cheap one after I had fitted a boiler!

I didn't say he was good and I'd rather not put any more money in his pocket. He offered to do the first service FOC, but I'd rather pay BG to do it. That's how good he is..

Ive had them fail open and closed although closed is the most popular of the two. Not after 4 years but having said that my Mercedes Vito was falling apart after just 4 and a half years

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back