TRVs AND SYSTEM BALANCING:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi (especially D_Hailsham) - I was looking at a previous response in which it was said it is important to balance the system for TRVs to work properly. Can balancing in effect be achieved by simply adjusting the TRVs in any rooms that don't reach desired temperature? Setting 5 seems to be the average which gives some scope up or down.

Sponsored Links
Hi (especially D_Hailsham) - I was looking at a previous response in which it was said it is important to balance the system for TRVs to work properly. Can balancing in effect be achieved by simply adjusting the TRVs in any rooms that don't reach desired temperature? Setting 5 seems to be the average which gives some scope up or down.

you do not balance a system through rhe trvs, you balance the lockshield valve, usually on the return pipe, with the flow pipe (the one with a trv) fully open

see FAQs and WIKI at top of page

Hi - thanks for that, I'll check out the FAQS. I'm sure on balance (pun intended), it's best to balance the system even with TRVs. It's just I thought I'd seen elsewhere on this forum someone suggest the lockshields were just left fully open with TRVs.

Hi - thanks for that, I'll check out the FAQS. I'm sure on balance (pun intended), it's best to balance the system even with TRVs. It's just I thought I'd seen elsewhere on this forum someone suggest the lockshields were just left fully open with TRVs.
if all the lockshields are fully opened then your system is not balanced, dont think you will find any post that suggests it.

all htg systems need to be balanced, wether they have trvs or not ;)

Sponsored Links
A well balanced system is very important to distribute the heat around the whole building correctly

Some lazy people will leave the lockshields fully open and let the trv try and take care of everything

Now with current condensing technology there is even more emphasis on the flow and return temperatures and getting this setup correctly has been emphasised many times

Have read of the FAQ and try and set the system up to work properly ,it will be of benefeit to you in the long run

I know how to balance a system (I think) but I'd have to use a rad thermometer. Hopefully the plumber will check anyway.

I've seen the relevant info in FAQ section (VIA LINKS in various answers) but (and I'm sorry about this) how do I quickly get to the FAQ section?? I've got the "Wiki" and "How to" tabs at top of page but can't see any quick link to FAQs??

Thanks for that, it's the article I looked at earlier. A very good site for plumbing and many other things. Got it in my Favourites folder with many others and haven't looked at it for some time.

It's just I thought I'd seen elsewhere on this forum someone suggest the lockshields were just left fully open with TRVs.

Very unfortunately you will see this stated quite often. Sometimes by people who should know better!

You cannot easily tell the calibre of the person giving that advice!

The simple ( and obvious to most ) answer is that all radiators need to be balanced as stated with the TRVs open.

Then the TRVs need to be adjusted to suit the room and desired temperatures.

Tony

I know how to balance a system (I think) but I'd have to use a rad thermometer. Hopefully the plumber will check anyway.

I've seen the relevant info in FAQ section (VIA LINKS in various answers) but (and I'm sorry about this) how do I quickly get to the FAQ section?? I've got the "Wiki" and "How to" tabs at top of page but can't see any quick link to FAQs??
Balancing info in the Wiki is Here.

Thanks D_Hailsham, you're one of my heroes on this forum! And I can easily assess your calibre Agile - it's of the highest order! Looking at various problems going back several years, I'm very impressed by the good sound advice both of you have freely given. In my profession, expertise was guarded like gold-dust and passed on as rarely!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back