TRVs - feasible to add to radiators myself?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an wall mounted Potterton boiler and radiators without TRVs.
I would like to know peoples opinion on whether fitting TRVs to all but one of the radiators is a feasible DIY job, or whether it should be left to an expert.

At the moment we have rooms we never use and so I'm wondering whether fitting TRVs and turning the dials off in those rooms will allow me to just heat up the rooms I'm using and save on gas.

Sponsored Links
The valves look like they have not been turned or looked after for years.
When I tried to turn one of the lockshield valves before it caused a leak.
Also the screws to get the lockshield caps off have rusted and don't turn meaning I would need to destroy the caps to get them off.

Basically the valves are just about working as they are, but any attempt to adjust them will probably lead to getting new ones.

Fitting TRV's is a DIY job, its when you get a leak, or cant bleed the system, you might need the 'expertise' I was self taught & made a few errors, but thats how you learn. Good luck.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like an old system. Wait a little longer so it's warm and you won't need heat for a while, then drain the entire system, take off all the rad valves (both ends as they will be equally old).

Take them outside (upside down so they don't dribble out of the open ends) and run a hose through them, this will wash out loose sediment.

Refit each one* with a TRV at one end and (upstairs) a new lockshield valve (downstairs) a drain-off lockshield - you'll be surprised how handy this is when draining and flushing. The valves are very cheap if you're buying a number of them from a plumbers merchant or Screwfies.

Refill and check for leaks.

Add Fernox or Sentinel cleaning chemical and run for the recommended period; then flush and rinse thoroughly, then refill with a corrosion inhibiting chemical by the same maker.

Because you flushed out a lot of the loose sediment with your hosepipe earlier there will be a lot less grime to get out than if you hadn't. Sponge out old sediment from the F&E tank after you've drained it.

If you feel like it, you can paint the rads while you have them off and after you've flushed them - you'll never have a better opportunity than when they're laid out flat in the garden. This is also the best time to clean and decorate behind the rads.

*except the one nearest the wall thermostat

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back