TT RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you are using all 30ma RCBOs in a TT install can you do away with the 100ma/300ma main RCD?

Sponsored Links
If you are using all 30ma RCBOs in a TT install can you do away with the 100ma/300ma main RCD?
Yes you can - Is the 100mA RCD also the main switch for CU though?
Not only 'yes you can' (provided that all the final circuits are RCBO-protected) but, at least theoretically, 'yes you must' if (as is probably the case) they are SP RCBOs. An N-E fault on any of the final circuits won't be cleared by a SP RCBO, and therefore will 'take out' any up-front RCD, even if it's time-delayed, hence killing the entire installation - which is technically non-compliant with current regs.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
It was the main switch but I was going to replace it with a 100A isolator.
Carry on then - You don't say what size the DNO fuse is but if its 100A you should upgrade your meter tails to 25mm ²?

It was the main switch but I was going to replace it with a 100A isolator.
Carry on then - You don't say what size the DNO fuse is but if its 100A you should upgrade your meter tails to 25mm ²?

Sorry but I should have said from the start this is a question about a TT'd shed from a TN-C-S Supplied house.

16mm 2 core XLPE feed.

Sorry but I should have said from the start this is a question about a TT'd shed from a TN-C-S Supplied house.
16mm 2 core XLPE feed.
Then hold everything I have said - since I am confused about your current set up.
Perhaps you could explain exactly what is the electrical set up you have now or plan to introduce? Include the devices at the home CU and those at the shed CU.
Also how you have connected one to the other - Split tails - Henley block maybe/hopefully.

16mm 2 core XLPE feed.
Then hold everything I have said - since I am confused about your current set up.
Perhaps you could explain exactly what is the electrical set up you have now or plan to introduce? Include the devices at the home CU and those at the shed CU.
Also how you have connected one to the other - Split tails - Henley block maybe/hopefully.

From the house there is a 10mm twin and earth coming from our CU via a 50a MCB, this goes in to a sarel plastic enclosure (all this was there when we moved in)

From there we needed a run 60m away to our large shed to supply sockets and lights. We ran this in 2 core armoured protected by a double pole 32A MCB. and TT'd it at the shed end (at no point exporting the earth from the house)

Shed has 6 way consumer unit with 100ma rcd up front and all rcbo circuits.

Hope this helps?

Is there a reason you are installing a standalone TT system in the shed. Does it have an extraneous conductive-part such as a metal water pipe?

Is there a reason you are installing a standalone TT system in the shed. Does it have an extraneous conductive-part such as a metal water pipe?

I was advised that I should not export the earth from my house and to TT it at the shed. Plastic water pipes and timber frame.

From the house there is a 10mm twin and earth coming from our CU via a 50a MCB, this goes in to a sarel plastic enclosure (all this was there when we moved in) ... From there we needed a run 60m away to our large shed to supply sockets and lights.
Is that 50A MCB circuit protected by an RCD in the house CU? If so, your original question would obviously become a bit moot.

Kind Regards, John

From the house there is a 10mm twin and earth coming from our CU via a 50a MCB, this goes in to a sarel plastic enclosure (all this was there when we moved in) ... From there we needed a run 60m away to our large shed to supply sockets and lights.
Is that 50A MCB circuit protected by an RCD in the house CU? If so, your original question would obviously become a bit moot.

Kind Regards, John

The house has all RCBOs and the circuit in question is just an MCB

Fair enough. I take it that you mean 'all RCBOs' apart from this one MCB. In that case, the RCBOs in yoiu shed would obviously be effectively the same (functionally) as the up-front RCD in any TT system.

Kind Regards, John

Fair enough. I take it that you mean 'all RCBOs' apart from this one MCB. In that case, the RCBOs in yoiu shed would obviously be effectively the same (functionally) as the up-front RCD in any TT system.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, All RCBOs exept one MCB. So I can do away with the RCD? I was told that I would need a 100 or 300ma RCD to protect from fire?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back