TT System - Having an RCD Installed

Phykell

Can I have permission to use your photo for educational purposes?

I'm a technical guru for my company....

Sponsored Links
Wow, so many answers - thanks for all your input everyone :)

crafty1289 said:
For a start, the tails between the meter and service head/s only look to be 16mm² you could do with these upgrading to 25mm².
Noted. I'm going to write these all down because at least that means that I can get a quote for what I know needs doing now.

crafty1289 said:
The tails from the meter to that isolator are a mix of old and new colours. There should be a label somewhere indicating there are 2 colour schemes in use. The whole thing looks a mess.
After reading all these replies I think I'd better get another electrician in. Incidentally, the one I got from the local paper, charged me £85 for that isolator installation and meter tails!

crafty1289 said:
That black box and the black wire to the left of the picture - can you pull back the hat on that black cable and post a picture? I presume this is a supply for a shed? Armoured cable shouldn't be bent like that right next to its termination.
The SWA actually goes to another CU in the garage which is on the opposite side to the main CU. The garage CU has three MCBs (6A, 16A and 32A) and a 63A RCD. I don't think the SWA cable is sufficient myself and I think it should be replaced by 10mm ordinary twin and earth (I have some left over from a kitchen install). I also have some 6mm, but AFAIK that's not really adequate. Does that need to come from an MCB on the main CU (at the moment it's on a 40A MCB) or do I need to ask the electrician to feed it directly from the isolator?

crafty1289 said:
EDIT: sorry, didnt realise you already said you have a TT system :oops: Did the electrician leave any paperwork saying what the EFLI is, in ohms? If he tested the system, he should have left you a few bits of paper with test results on. And a TT installation MUST be protected with an RCD. a 100mA one is a good choice, and can be fitted in the isolator enclosure.
Thanks for confirming the requirement for an RCD on the isolator. I'll get that sorted ASAP. The electrician didn't leave any paperwork and certainly didn't mention any EFLI!

JohnD said:
All noted - I'll get these sorted out.

JohnD said:
(REC advice)
Thanks, I'll write to them then. I do wonder you know, if it wouldn't be a good idea for a REC (supplier) to have their meter checkers at least do visual checks especially on older properties (mine's 1928).

securespark said:
Phykell, Can I have permission to use your photo for educational purposes? I'm a technical guru for my company....
You're very welcome to use it as you see fit :)

phykell, that SWA needs replacing, it probably isn't terminated properly, and if its only through the wall, then twin and earth would have done the job. The size of it depends on the MCB at the origin, but a short length of 6mm should be fine on a 40A MCB.

And as far as i know, the meter readers work for an independant company, and only collect meter readings, they probably have no facility to report dodgy equipment, unless theres a magnet on top of the meter or something!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back