Tub Tile adhesive used for larger porcelain tiles (600*300)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My builder who is doing the bathroom (he claims he has been doing bathroom for 40yrs) requested me to buy 15kg Tub tile adhesive (after seeing the tiles) instead of the powder ones.

As per his request I bought the tubs which are costlier than the bags. I bought 8 tubs as per his request (one tub covers approx 8 square metres) My bathroom is 20 square metres. SO he has used 3 times more adhesive than recommended.

Now I came to know tubs are not good for larger tiles. What should I do…? Tiling is half done. I think he wanted to finish the job quickly hence using the tubs instead of powder.

Please help.

Sponsored Links
its defo a NO NO using tubbed addy with those size of tiles, he OBVIOUSLY does not know what he is doing. Personally I would sack him, and charge him for getting a PROPER tiler in to rectify his mistake, and also get him to pay for the extra tiles and addy you will need. Needless to say DO NOT pay him.
Cowboys

JC is dead right, whats the surface he's fixing to? and what is the tubbed adhesive brand\actual product?

Its not something you should put up with from a tiler, but we do (against our advice) sometimes get customers buying r/m addy for big tiles and sometimes they get away with it. Its not ideal but the addy may set ok if your lucky

70% is smooth wall remaining 30% boarded walls.
using shower proof Mapei tubs.

Sponsored Links
my guess is that you tiles are also too heavy for a skimmed surface. They are almost certain to weigh more than 16kg m2.

So you may have heavy tiles fixed with the wrong adhesive, onto a surface that doesn't support the weight.

The gamble for you is that they may well be fine and stay stuck for years - its not unknown. It may well be worth having a good chat with your tiler and see what he's prepared to do about it, start friendly and see where it goes. have a good look around, see if they are solid, perhaps remove one tile and see if the adhesive has dried properly in the middle. if you struggle to get it off (as in the tile comes off in bits) you may get away with it.

Whatever the result, use a bagged single part flexi adhesive for the rest of it, prime first with acrylic bonding.

it will tell you the wight limits on the tub.
has he used a acrylic primer what tiles are they make and what addy have you bought and the grout??

id use powered tile addy and acrylic primer over the lot
quick set for me but if he wants to use tubed gear then get him slow setting gear lol and micro flex grout

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back