Tubby Isaacs

Sponsored Links
Sounds horrid. What does it taste like?

A trip to Petticoat Lane or Brick lane was never complete without calling at Tubby Isaacs for jellied eels and a lump of dried bread.

Sounds horrid. What does it taste like?

Hard to explain really - I suppose more meaty than fishy. But the best bit was the jelly covered in vinegar. Some people would eat the bones as well but I never fancied that.

I think anyone that has had them would agree that they taste a lot better than it sounds.

Sponsored Links
I'm going to be sick.

Maybe it's because I'm not a Londoner... ;)

There were jellied eel stalls all over the East end years ago, Tubby Isaacs being the name most remember.

I still eat 'em to this day.
Always loads of vinegar, pepper and dry bread. Beautiful.

They taste like.............well, how I image cat ****e would taste. I understand the love of pie mash & liquor but that eel snot :unsure:

used to make me wretch :cry:
that and pie n mash shops,like sitting in an old toilet :LOL:
mind you iirc they were spotless,

oooo the green liqueur uuurrrrggggghhhhhh.

my my was from the east end,and her mum used to live in walthamstow .
i remember going up there when i was little and being dragged to the local shops and they ALWAYS had pie n mash or ells.
oh happy days as my ole mum says.
we used to get there and find 1 of her neighbours sitting in her kitchen having tea and my nan was no where to be seen,they all used to leave there doors unlocked.

im sure your correct m8,rose tinted and all that.
shes 81 in September and she keeps saying she would love to go back to peticote lane market etc and see all her old haunts but ive told her most if not all have been knocked down and she wouldnt recognize anything.

There were jellied eel stalls all over the East end years ago, Tubby Isaacs being the name most remember.

I still eat 'em to this day.
Always loads of vinegar, pepper and dry bread. Beautiful.
If they're so beautiful, why do you need to hide their flavour with vinegar and salt?

Sponsored Links
Back