Tuesday Joke

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Lone Ranger and Tonto stopped in the desert for the night. After they got their tent all set up, both men fell sound asleep.

Some hours later, Tonto wakes the Lone Ranger and says, "Kemo Sabe, look towards sky, what you see?"

The Lone Ranger replies, "I see millions of stars."

"What that tell you?" asked Tonto.

The Lone Ranger ponders for a minute then says, "Astronomically speaking, it tells me there are millions of galaxies and potentially billions of planets. Astrologically speaking, it tells me that Saturn is in Leo. Time wise, it appears to be approximately a quarter past three in the morning. Theologically, it's evident the Lord is all-powerful and we are small and insignificant. Meteorologically, it seems we will have a beautiful day tomorrow. What's it tell you, Tonto?

Tonto is silent for a moment, then says, "Kemo Sabe, you dumber than buffalo sh@t. It means someone stole tent."

Sponsored Links
It's so nice to see that the 1930's stereotype of a native American is being kept alive in such a constructive way.

And when did the phrase "as thick as sh1t" mutate into "as dumb as shat"? :rolleyes:

1930's stereotype of a native American?

The joke takes the micky out of the Lone Ranger, not Tonto.

Have I missed your point?

Sponsored Links
Softus I have heard the same joke but with Sherlock Holmes as the Lone Ranger and Dr Watson as Tonto.

Given these changes what now is the typical stereotype. :rolleyes:

Daz66 said:
Given these changes what now is the typical stereotype. :rolleyes:
I suspect this of being a disingenuous question, but I'll answer it anyway.

In the Holmes edition of the joke, does Watson talk with an accent, missing out verbs and definite articles in an unamusing act of belittling a Native American?

If not, then despite Holmes being particularly clever, and Watson, especially in contrast, particularly thick, I doubt that either of them represents any stereotype other than 19th Century upper-middle class gents, who themselves had certain prejudices that were acceptable in that era.

Or did you have a proper question to ask?

Back