Turbo for Transporter van

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just looking for a bit of advice. I have a Volkswagen Transporter van and today whilst driving home I had a lot of white smoke coming from my exhaust. I pulled over and called the AA. After a lot of investigation the guy informs me that my turbo is not working and that I may need a new one. Does anybody have any idea of the sort of cost of I will be looking to pay to get this work done, and also will I damage my van further if I drive it in this state. It drives fine. Any advice or comments appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
get a second opinion first, i wouldnt associate white smoke with a turbo failure.
How did he come to the conclusion the turbo wasnt working?

I think initially the smoke issued from a turbo thats gone AWOL would be blue, but sometimes there is such an oil deluge in there that it just can't burn off quickly enough, hence the denser whitish cloud.
I think Turbo Technics offer a guaranteed refurb for around £300, but if the OP can use the one that Peter found, its an absolute steal.
John :)

Sponsored Links
If you continue to drive it with a knackered turbo you could cause a lot of damage. i.e. oil constantly dripping on the pistons will eventually start to build up causing a hot-spot which will melt the piston crowns at the edge. You also risk putting a large quantity of oil into your exhaust system, I'm sure you will know the implications of that.

;)

Back