Turning greenhouse into love shack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This year's project, I'm turning the greenhouse into a love shack. The greenhouse itself has structural issues, the wood around the base has mostly rotted away (it's now standing on the nails that held it down) and the glass keeps falling out.

The plan is to board over the far end ( the love shack), put a wall and door half way along, keep the door end as a conservatory. I just need some wisdom on a few points....
- what do I do to the roof struts to stop them rotting away? I could sand, fill and paint them then stick the glass back in, any better ideas?
- how do I flatten the floor out? Current plan is to dig out the beds, flatten with breeze blocks/rubble then cover with pavers (maybe a bit of concrete to hold it all together) in the conservatory end; no idea what to do in the love shack end
- what do I replace the ground level wood with? In the shack end it will be covered up so shouldn't be a problem, but do I need nicely profiled timber in the conservatory end? I've successfully jacked parts of the frame up, so it's a question of what to use, getting it into place shouldn't be an issue.

Any thoughts on any of this would be great. Pics here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/9aQ5uz3QpdK6foZ26

Thanks,

Jim

Sponsored Links
Is the structure sound or not, although you say it has issues I'm not clear even after looking at the pics. If not then remove the glass, disassemble and rebuild. From what I can see it's not a conversion job

hi Loofah, I'm not sure how sound it is. All the woodwork over about 3 inches from the ground is at least 90% there - a few holes, some rot in places. The main issue is the wood standing on the foundations, most of which has gone. This means the verticals aren't held in place, the side glass falls out (which gives it sideways stability I think).
I've got most of the glass out, not keen on taking the whole thing down (I think that would be the end of it).

Assuming it doesn't fall down in the process, what can I do to the roof spars to get another 10-20 years out if them? I could scrape/sand/paint them unless anyone has a better idea? Maybe cap them with something?

Sponsored Links
Not sure you can. Looking at the joints such as where rafter meets top plate (top of vertical side) it looks very tired. Once the glass is out how stable is it? Much give when you twist it about?
If you can remove all glass and shove the frame and it doesn't wobbly or distort you might get some more years after replacing the base. You could replace the piece on top of each rafter with something broader to protect the rafter underneath and add some extra bracing. After that you could consider the conversion.
Is it worth that effort? You could dismantle and if there's enough sound wood then use it to rebuild something. The look of the current structure doesn't fill me with confidence but that's just from pics

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back