Turning off a radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
All my radiators except one have a control with which I can turn the radiator on and off. The one without this control system has just a square brass spindle sticking out in the position where the heat controls are on the other ones. When the water is hot the radiator is hot. Can this radiator be adjusted so it does not get hot?
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
That spindle is called a lockshield, usually found in the same room as your thermostat. Simple give it a turn and it will close thus reducing the heat output on the radiator (make sure its the flow side otherwise no heat reduction).

If it is the radiator in the room with your Room Thermostat, and you turn it off, then the heating may run continuously, overheating all the other roms. This is wasteful and expensive.

Sponsored Links
If you close the lockshield on the flow side slightly you are reducing the amount of water flowing through this rad, thus reducing the amount of heat from the rad, isnt it corrct ? if i am wrong fair enough /hands up.

that's correct

but if you close the flow side, it stops or reduces water going in

if you close the return side, it stops or reduces water going out

either way it stops or reduces water going through the radiator, so it will be colder.

When you balance a rad by turning the locksheild closed more it only restricts the speed of the water going through it, it still gets as hot as all the others, balancing is to try to get all your rads to heat up evenly with the required temperature differential.

gas4you said:
When you balance a rad by turning the locksheild closed more it only restricts the speed of the water going through it, it still gets as hot as all the others, balancing is to try to get all your rads to heat up evenly with the required temperature differential.

Yes. Your circulating pump is naturally lazy. It will pump water through the path of least restriction.

Have you ever wondered why radiators valves have a cap on that does nothing when you turn it?

There is a reason for that!

Balancing can be tricky for DIY'ers as the whole concept of circulation is not something they understand. (Usually)

'Turn everything on and it must work' is the general reply I get when I come in after DECORATORS.

Oh, BTW, why is it we have to...Plaster, Brick up old Balanced flues, re lay boards when all a painter has to do is re-fit a rad.

Even that vexes them, when they get called to say the heating doesnt work after removing a rad.

I would explain why to painters but they aint clever enough to understand.

And they want the money we earn?
WHAT?

David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back