Turning on Water Heating, turns off the boiler.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Over the past couple of days we've had both a plumber and electrician in the house doing some work - neither of which have touched our Hot Water / Central Heating timer (Drayton Tempus 7).

This morning my wife advised me that the house was cold (I was still under the duvet at the time :LOL: ) - and upon inspection I found that an earth had somehow come out of its socket in the switch faceplat for the Timer.

After reconnecting the earth, the Tempus came back to life and all seemed well - or so I thought. Engaging Central Heating makes the boiler kick in as expected. However, engaging Hot Water turns the boiler off ! I'm sure it was'nt like this before ....

Needle in the haystack I know, but, could it be that the Tempus has knackered itself??? They're a bit expensive to just pop along and buy another (circa £90) . I've tried resetting and reprogramming the Tempus with no luck.

Should I be looking at something other than the Tempus as the fault?

Sponsored Links
are you sure it was an earth and not a switch wire. has been known to have been done before.

Obvious question - are you sure you put the wire back where it was? Plumbers are very good at usingg earth wires for all sorts! :rolleyes:

To check wiring, do you have 1 x 3 port valve or 2 x 2 ports, or what?

Ninety quid?? I've still got some "new, old stock" ones I think - £30 to you guv.

Sponsored Links
Managed to suss out what was wrong thanks to the double guessing that the posts above gave me.

Had another look, and found *another* wire that had come loose - damn that sparky that had been working in that Airing Cupboard fitting a socket for a shower pump !!

Anyway .. the wire that was loose was one from the boiler 'stat, to a junction box, intern, to the CH ON on the Tempus.

All lovely and warm now .. cheers guys for making me double (tripple??) check that wiring again :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back