TV aerial sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I've just tried to change my TV aerial wall socket because the current one is a very sloppy fit. The lead keeps falling out and I do wonder if it's affecting the signal strength (Ch4 & 5 are pretty weak around here).
However, I was about to take the old one off when I noticed that it's got a small pcb with just a couple of small polyester components (capacitors?) on it. The replacement I bought doesn't have these. Something is clearly afoot here that I don't understand :!: Can anyone enlighten me :?:

(I live in a block of flats, btw, with a shared aerial).

Sponsored Links
Maybe they act as a bandpass filter? :confused:

Strange that channel four is weak, its always broadcast with the same power as 1-3.

You have an isolated type designed for use with communal aerial systems fed from a central booster.

If your outlet is fed from your own private booster or direct from an aerial, then the one you have purchased will be fine.

They use isolated ones, as if your TV or leads cause any trouble, it couldn't afect any neighbouring houses/flats.

Hope that helps.

ZenStalinist said:
Strange that channel four is weak, its always broadcast with the same power as 1-3.
It's not at all unusual for one or two channels to be affected much more than the others. At the frequencies involved, a bad connection or component on the system can easily result in resonance which effectively acts as a filter, attenuating certain frequencies more than others.

Sponsored Links
If your outlet is fed from your own private booster

I have a plug-in job (Vivanco TVSB1) which claims to boost by up to 20dB
although this doesn't seem very plausible given the difference it makes turning the dial from one extreme to the other (3dB = double signal I was taught). Does this item qualify as "private booster" :?:

yup. No need for an isolated outlet.

I would get an aerial guy in to fir you a new aerial - you can do the internal wiring. If you are in a weak signal area, you need their expertese.

Trouble is I'll have to remember to swap it for an isolating item when I move.

Would love new aerial btw or, better still, a satellite dish. Local planning regs however prohibit adding extra aerials and, worse still, only allow one satellite dish per block. So I've got the choice of sticking up a moody dish and risk being told to take it down (although just about every flat in the block has got one :!: ) or actually apply for planning permission (which I'm sure no one else has done) in which case my 19 neighbours would have to take theirs down and would undoubtedly then form a queue to knock seven bells out of yours truly :(

For what it'll cost I think I'll scout around for the proper item.
Thanks for the enlightenment :!:

Or you could always consider moving out here to the boondocks. :D

Whole extensions (over the permitted size) have been built here without planning permission, and I don't think anybody would even dream of running to the council asking permission to erect a antenna. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back