Tv Ariel cut

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi people
I was hedgecutting and somehow managed to cut my next door neighbours Tv Ariel which was attached to the wall
My neighbour is elderly and she would never of noticed as this Ariel is for a small Tv in the back garden room anyway I couldn’t let it go so I told her , anyway the Ariel has a wire copper wire through the middle which is surrounded by a white plastic covering
This covering has a paper thin copper covering and surrounding that a copper thin wires ( I wish I took a picture before I attempted a repair)
Anyway I managed to twist attach it all together and then used black insulation tape to tape it up
All done to not avail as switched on her tv and no signal , what I’d like to know is the very thin copper wires which I cut are they actual for digital channels or are they for some sort of insulation ,,?
I know I’m going to have get the old girl a new Ariel cable but just want to know what I’ve done to it,if you see what I mean :((
Any answers would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Ariel is washing powder …
Did her tv Aerial work before ?
A simple tape joint should work inner to inner , outer to outer …but not shorted

Anyway I managed to twist attach it all together and then used black insulation tape to tape it up
The cable can be joined as described in this recent thread here: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/repairing-tv-cable.628241/

The actual signal travels between the inner solid wire and the outer copper braid. Both must be continuous for it to work, and they must not be connected together. Even a thin strand of copper between the inner wire and outer braid will completely destroy the signal.

a small Tv in the back garden room
Before replacing anything, just how old is this TV? Does it actually have digital / Freeview in it, or a converter box to go with it?
If it's years old and never used, it may be an old analogue only TV which will not work with anything today.

sparky opps you are right I do too much washing up by looks of it
Yes it did work
I did inner to inner
Wrapped copper paper round it
Then did the outer to outer
Then insulation tape
But I think I should try
Inner to inner then insulation tape
Outer to outer then insulation tape
If that don’t work Mr Aerial man will be called

Sponsored Links
flameport tv does digital and was working fine until I stuck my nose in :(

Guys
Just to say thanks for the accurate advice
I unraveled what I did earlier and connected and insulated the central and outer thinner wires separately, worked a treat , thanks again guys

Insulation tape doesn't provide that effective a seal against moisture. It also has a tendency to go brittle when exposed to the UV from the sun. That makes the water barrier even less effective. I use insulation tape when installing aerials as a method of securing the cable to the aerial mast. For that it's fine. It still goes brittle, but there are enough fixing points, and the cable insulation is intact, that it will hold well enough.

For sealing outdoor cable joints you want self-amalgamating tape. As the name suggest, this stretchy rubber tape bonds to itself as it cures. It's also UV stable.

For anyone doubting that water can be a problem, take a look at the roads. Those potholes you've been driving round, they're from water freezing and shattering the asphalt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back