TV pic size?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Out of my depth here.....
Bog standard Samsung flat screen telly - nowt special.
If theres any print on the screen, often the first couple of letters are missing, left and right.....just as if the transmitted image is too big.
On another TV, (another house) its the same, and playing DVD's makes no difference.
I've tried playing with the 'screen size' doo dah in the screen menu, but that makes no difference either.
Any clues anyone?
John :)

Sponsored Links
John have you tried to use fresh petrol in it? also the spark plug could do with a clean.

Let me know how you get on.

Andy :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

:p
I lose patience with things like this big time.....and if anyone could write a short manual that people could understand, they'd make a bloody fortune :D

I have same problem TV remote says INPUT then has three buttons under that saying D/A, TV/Radio, and picture of arrow going into a box. Why three buttons?

Mode four buttons TV, DVD, VCR, Live TV why complicate it if I want to use VCR I will use VCR remote.

Instructions on screen says Press "SELECT" but on remote not called "SELECT" it's called "OK".

Ratio and size are not the same. 16:9, 4:3, 14:9 is the ratio but zoom means it expends part of the picture likely zoom has been set and needs returning to normal.

Sponsored Links
Out of my depth here.....
Bog standard Samsung flat screen telly - nowt special.
If theres any print on the screen, often the first couple of letters are missing, left and right.....just as if the transmitted image is too big.
On another TV, (another house) its the same, and playing DVD's makes no difference.
I've tried playing with the 'screen size' doo dah in the screen menu, but that makes no difference either.
Any clues anyone?

The chances are that the TV aspect ratio setting isn't quite right for you. This could be simply the "P.Size" button on the Samsung TV remote. Or it could be the picture shape setting from the source device (Sky box/ Virgin / Freeview recorder / Freesat recorder / DVD player etc etc)

When you are watching TV direct from the aerial input then I would expect P.Size to solve your problem. With Samsungs there are generally two settings that are correct. These are 16:9 and Just Scan. The 16:9 setting is correct for DVDs and standard definition TV channels. Just Scan is correct for Blu-rays and any HD TV channels if the set can receive them.

If your TV source is a Sky box or some form of external tuner/recorder box then you will probably have to check the settings in the box's setup menus. Make sure it is set for a TV aspect ratio of 16:9.

The same above applies to DVD players. Different makes of DVD player vary a little in the way this is accomplished. But they all have some way of accessing the player's set-up menus. Sometimes it's simply pressing a button marked "setup". Other times there's a way in via the player's menu settings. Your manual will give you the appropriate information. When you have found the setup menu, go to the video setup page and check that the TV screen shape is set to 16:9 (AKA Widescreen).

The above doesn't cover every possibility. But it does cover the most likely. Let us know how you get on. Have you changed the spark plug yet? ;) :LOL:

Some very useful info here, and many thanks for that! I'll have a twiddle in a bit.
My main telly is fed from Sky, but the box was a second hand one from an installer.....that could be an issue, I guess. The second set is a freeview from a standard aerial - I can't remember what normal telly is like but the DVD player (separate) gives me the same results as before.
Every time I look at the manuals my mind goes blank :eek:
Time to fit the set with sequential fuel injection I think :p

If the Sky box uses a SCART socket to connect to your TV, then there will be a menu to change the picture shape. If it uses a HDMI cable then there will be no menu. It is set to 16:9 regardless.

BTW, if you find the info useful, please use the THANKS button at the top right of EACH post that helped. It costs you nothing, but is a nice way to show your appreciation and it helps others see the value of the info if they stumble across the post during a search. :D

Just back from a couple of nights away, and happy to report that the hotel telly was just the same as mine :p
Will twiddle in good time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back