TV reception problem - high winds new digital Ariel required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone please recommend a digital Ariel for outside? Our current Ariel (about 30 years old) picks up a digital and analogue reception, however, as soon as we get a bit of wind outside most of the digital channels on Freeview are lost (not tuned).

I'm looking to replace our Ariel with a more substantial outdoor digital Ariel to cope with high winds.

Lots of Ariel’s on the market, looking for a tried and tested make to maintain a picture when the wind picks up (we live on a hill).

Thanks for any replies, wasn't sure which forum this subject should of been posted in!?

Sponsored Links
If you intend having it replaced by a PRO, they will no what one to use, you could always phone a company & make out you want them to install & ask what they would recommend.

Our postcode is BA12 Warminster, Wiltshire.

Not sure if I have the nerve to ask a PRO's advice on the pretension of using them and then say "thanks, but no thanks!"

Sponsored Links
Finally a post I might be able to help with! ;)

First use the reception predictor here to find what sort of aerial should work for you and which way it should point.

Then use the terrain guide here to make sure you are able to mount the aerial high enough.

Then go somewhere like Trac (NB I'm not in any way affiliated and have only ordered from them once, but everything arrived the next day and when there was a problem with one of the products they instantly despatched another one to me - excellent service) and order the bits you need.

When you put it all together don't use really cheap cable, make sure you use shielded and if you can go for CT100 or WF100.

BA12.....

Transmitter information
Mendip
BBC Region: West
ITV Region: HTV West
Switchover: 2010
Muxes received: ALL
Compass bearing: 303°
Distance: 30 kilometres
Aerial group: E/W Horizontal
Aerial elevation: 560 metres

Just to add to what had already been said, you would be best going for a wide band aerial. The reception predictor suggests a specific band, but it's likely that channels will move around and new ones will be added when the full digital/analogue switchover occurs.

The fact that you're losing reception when it's windy also suggests that it might wise to install a new aerial mast at the same time, as having it sway too much in the wind isn't going to do you any favours.

Maybe someone could put FP's post into the Wiki for future reference?

My only complaint, being the board's resident grammarian, would be the spelling of "Aerial" in the title.

I'm such a pedantic tw@t!

EDIT - Apostrophe added! complaint now spelt correctly. Some kind of pedant! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back