tv switches its self off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my matsui flat screen has just started to switch its self off after approx 10 sec's although i still get sound, its about 3 yrs old, any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Matsui what?
Is this a TV or a monitor?
What's the model number?
Are the connections tight?
What's the signal source?
Does it work with a different signal source?

Is this switching off from a button in the set?? If so I had a similar problem with a broken TV I acquired for free recently. The problem was that the set button had built up grime around it & all it took to fix the "broken TV" was for it to be removed from the mains & for the switch to be cleaned carefully with some damp cotton buds with the button pressed in.

No, he doesn't really mean "off" because he states that "I still get sound" so I assume the programme sound is still audible through the TV speakers. Unfortunately, it's all very vague so let's see if he comes back with the answers.

Sponsored Links
Thanks sam for your interest, last night my daughter came home, she has been away for a few days & didn't know set was faulty so turned it on as usual & it stayed on, this morning I tried it & it stayed on , I hope this was just a glitch but will keep you up to date if it plays up again.

alan

As I suspected just a temp respite, on sun grand children put a video on & after approx 15 min tv turned off picture only, I tried it on sky & built in freeview but the screen went black again after approx 10 secs, made sure all connections were tight, when you switch off & back on again it lasts 10 sec then off again but I still get the sound.

Make Matsui, Mod M37LW508

Try shining a bright light onto the screen, see if there's a picture but no backlight.

Hi Sam I have answered all your questions in my last post!

Hi Monkeh, I shone a light into the screen & nothing, any ideas.

Alan

I'm no TV engineer, but it sounds like it's a very common LCD TV problem. Inverter board failure. These are replaceable & such a common fault that second hand ones are available on ebay.

I'm no TV engineer, but it sounds like it's a very common LCD TV problem. Inverter board failure. These are replaceable & such a common fault that second hand ones are available on ebay.

If it were the inverter, he should have seen something by shining a light on the screen, which is why I asked him to.

Do I assume that your answers are as follows?

Is this a TV or a monitor? Matsui TV
What's the model number? M37LW508
Are the connections tight? Yes, checked
What's the signal source? Aerial into integral Freeview
Does it work with a different signal source? No. Tested with Scart input from Sky and AV1 selected

I conclude that your TV is faulty and is beyond your ability to repair. Claim from the supplier under the sale of Goods Act. You should get some discount on repair or replacement, since it's only 3 years old.

http://www.The-Cool-Book-shop.co.uk/repair_your_TV.htm

Thanks for those pearls of wisdom Sam but I am quite capable of changing a board or soldering up a dry joint, the tv was bought on the internet & the company no longer exist, it was a cheap graded set so I wont shed to many tears but would have liked to fix it up as a spare, so if any one else could point me in the right direction I will be gratefull.

Alan

If you bought it with a credit card it may be worth having a chat with your issuer to see if they will cover it under S75 (think it has to be over £100)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back