twin inlet rad valve leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
i remember a plumber telling me you could stop the weep coming from the top of the valve when you turn the rad on . Has onyone any advise for me. Ther e are two to do and i was hoping to remedy it without draining the system It is a microbore twin inlet valve (inlet and outlet at the same side of rad)
thanks

Sponsored Links
depends on make of valve. Pegler an ur in luck. cheaper make an would need photo.

it has YORKSHIRE
IMPERIAL on the top and is 30 years old
THANKS

wheres the leak . from the dome cap or from under the plastic head. Or the large disconnecting nut

Sponsored Links
it doesnt leak when the plassy top on the valve is tightened shut v.It starts to leak when you start and turn the valve on coming from i believe the large nut . down theinside of plassy cover and onto the pipe. it isnt from the chrome doomed cover that covers the isolating screw

thanks pat

remove the screw from the top of the valve cover and i think you find the leak coming from the packing gland which is the nut the spindle goes through, it might seal if you tighten it or you might have to loosen and seal with ptfe tape then retighten, not too much or you wob't be able to turn the rad on and off

you can get a service kit for these valves if it is leaking when you turn off or on, and you dont need to drain to repair.

as a temp fix however you could remove plastic head, switch off system, undo gland nut and wrap spindle with SOME ptfe tape. then re-fit and re tighten gland nut.

This will allow you to get to a marchant and get the service kit which is a new spindle and washers. there are instructions with it.

so i turn off pump etc. What happens if i undo gland nut to pack with PTFE tape wont i get water coming out, dont get that bit.
pat

Yes, turn of system off at controls so boiler and pump are not running.

When you remove the gland nut you will get some water but not much, an old towel will mop this up.

PTFE is only a temp repair, I would suggest getting the service kit as it will leak again.

stopped the leaks but cant get the repair kit . could you point me to a supplier
thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back